When it was so snowy and cold last week, I fed the deer whenever I would see them coming in. And they were sure coming by to check things out on a regular basis!
First it was the little ones - a whole herd of the young ones were traveling together.
Next it was the girls - the future moms have banded up, too. Safety in numbers.
The bucks are always the last ones in. They are very furtive and that is probably how they manage to live long enough to grow antlers. Note the fellow on the left with just one antler. He came to us a couple of years back looking really thin and alone. First he was always by himself but later was accepted by the girls and now runs with the herd of bucks. When he first arrived, he had just one broken antler - now he has one good antler - he must have had some pedicle damage when he was young and cannot grow the other antler.
If the deer came by today, they would need some good boots. All that melting snow has created bog like conditions here. It is one mucky swamp out there and will take a long time to dry out. No worries about doing any yard work here yet!
9 comments:
OK Someone has to say it... I sure could make some fine venison steaks right from your back yard. :0)
I know deer wreck havoc in places but I've never seen that personally so I just go on loving them. Enjoyed the pictures.
I miss seeing them. We used to get a lot of then in our old neighborhood that would spend the night under a big tree we had in our front yard.
It has warmed up here in Arizona too...I wasn't going to say it this year but I'm kind of glad...ready for shorts and flip flops...always yard work..I have tons to do also...lol..my word verification is prune!
Poor little guy with one antler! I'm glad the other bucks let him hang out with them.
I noticed, immediately, the female in the back, "the mommas", has HUGE ears! I couldn't stop looking at them. Almost freaky large! Funny!
LOVE LOVE LOVE your pics and your blog which is my home away from home.
I just love your deer photos!
Even as a gardener, I can appreciate their beauty. Hope you're feeding them AWAY from the garden area!?!?
:)
I would call him "Victor/Victoria" although i bet he cant sing a tune like Julie Andrews...
How wonderful! I love deer, but I guess they can make gardening a challenge. I have enough trouble with geese and woodrats. - Margy
Post a Comment