Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Monday, March 21, 2011

March Madness - and I don't mean basketball...

This month has been a whirl of activity for us. It started with a trip to Washington state to do some tax prep for my Mom. Since Tramp 1 is an accountant, that chore falls to him and he is glad to do it. The taxes required another trip to the Willamette valley the following weekend to have a meeting with the CPA who does the taxes - Tramp 1 is an auditor, not a tax guru - but he does do our taxes, usually always late - good thing we can extend them.

During the week between these two trips, I celebrated my birthday. I baked myself a yummy lemon cake while waiting for the appliance repairman to arrive...



The refrigerator was repaired. I was so happy! Look how clean and organized it is. Sad that it took a mini-disaster to get it this way... And it probably won't look like this again until there is another near-death issue with it. But it sure was nice to look at for a few days!




The dishwasher dish drawer was also repaired. The issue was little pieces of plastic that the dishwasher was trying to ingest. Since I have been in puzzle mode lately, I pieced the debris together and found that it was the tine from a plastic fork. Mind you, Tramp 1 had been doing dishes after I whacked my finger chopping wood. Needless to say, he is off dish duty now!


The weekend in the Willamette valley was split with Saturday going to the taxes. Sunday we were in Portland where Tramp 1 and his cousin attended a BBQ Pit Master training and competition. They spent 12 hours in the wind and rain cooking brisket, pork butt, ribs and chicken. They had a really great time and managed to bring home a few ribbons with all the meat. They also know that right now neither of them wants to compete anywhere but at home!

While they were outdoors learning and cooking, I was inside taking a BBQ judging class. I decided I needed to take this class, too, since Tramp 1 took it last spring. It was a lot of fun and a great education after being on the opposite side of the table, serving as a table captain whose job it is to serve the judges.

It was 6:00 PM before we were able to head over Mt. Hood towards home. We were planning to fuel up in Sandy, on our way up to the mountain. As we were pulling in, our low fuel beep sounded - and we found that all the stormy weather we had earlier that day had knocked the power out so we could not get fuel anywhere. We thought about getting a motel for the night to wait but the motels had no power either, so we turned around and headed back towards Portland to find fuel. We did find it - the lines were so long - and then we headed back up through Sandy and were on our way home. It was a very strange ride in the dark all the way up over Mt. Hood. We got home around 10:30 PM and we had to unpack all the BBQ meat and wet gear. Everything smelled like smoke. We were so tired, especially after having to give up an hour of sleep to the time change. And the next morning Tramp 1 had to fly out on business for the week. He got back late Thursday night. We used this past weekend to try to get caught up on things - one being sleep!

Now spring has supposedly arrived. It is just the 21st of March. Still plenty of time to fit some more things into our life before the end of the month! What about you - what is taking up your spare time lately?

10 comments:

Tracy said...

Goodness,
I can't imagine that you have much spare time in all of those activities. I do have to say though that my interest was piqued with the talk of March Madness :)
But I actually have to say that BB IS taking up my spare time so I could have more if it weren't for that. It has been beautiful here in NC so I've spent a great deal of it outside :)
I hope the month slows down for you...

Rita said...

Great post and you seem to be havaing the time of your life. Your fridge look so nice and that lemon cake is looking good. Congratulations for those ribbons; somebody did a good job.
Rita

Linda said...

Gracious,Perhaps being bored isn't so bad after all. I'll pass on all the things that have been going on in your life.

Let me tell you, that is one big refrigerator. I'm glad it isn't my job to clean it. It looks great so you obviously did good work on it.

Margaret said...

Well sounds like everything worked out for the best in the end but the best part I think is the cake, looks delish, my birthday coming up soon...the big 50. Not sure where the years went but wow what a ride. Have a good week.

Sue said...

Well, a happy belated birthday to you. And was that just YOU that ate a quarter of a cake? If so, you are my new idol. But chocolate is my downfall. Anywho, you've had a very busy couple of weeks. I feel like a slug now.............

Rae said...

WoW. You have been busy. Happy belated birthday to you. That lemon cake looks good -one of my faves.

DianeLynn said...

My Oh My...you guys are like super busy. So when is your vacation? LOL
Lets see...I am just sitting inside getting all the rain from Oregon (thanks)been raining for 7 days and have more to come. Lost power for 24 hrs due 60+ winds down trees etc. About 2 hrs ago a tornado touched down south of here no damage it was out in the boonies. LOL got fuel to wet to go anywhere and NO BBQ nothin'. But am glad you guys are at home and safe. :)

Anonymous said...

My spare time has been spent watching the snow fall and making the kids go out and shovel. Good times.
Happy Belated Birthday!!

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

That was a bit of madness! Bet the BBQ judging class was fun and tasty at the same time. We've done our rounds with taxes but are waiting to hear the results. We use a Canadian preparer that can do both our US and Canadian returns. That way the tax credits are easier to figure out. - Margy

Christine said...

I've been spring cleaning the yard and taking care of a new puupy. Keeps me busy.