Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Appliance Woes....

It has to happen to someone, so it might as well be us... I am an optimist about most things and I look at this as it could be so much worse - it could have happened while we were out of town. But Tramp 1 needs to be a bit peeved about it and is venting more than I am.

This is the culprit - our big fridge - bought in late 2004 - not used until 2005 and now singing a death knell. The issue may have started long ago - hard to say as we aren't refrigeration specialists. It has always been a really cold fridge but recently it seems like it was freezing some things that it didn't used to freeze. I thought I just had too much in it.

It used to make a very loud noise now and then - we thought it was just the ice maker or something like that. But as of yesterday it has started to make a click or tick type of sound. It worried me, so I started to empty out the freezer portion that was packed full - I put most everything into one of those five day ice chests.


Last night Tramp 1 pulled the fridge out of it's home and cleaned away the dust to check it out. Needless to say, it was beyond his skill set. I called the repair company this morning and they will be out tomorrow afternoon. So I have been busy emptying out the rest of the big fridge as the ice cubes are starting to melt - not a good sign. That means more ice chests and jamming all I can into the extra fridge in the garage that is already very packed. (Yes, I know - not everyone has 30 pounds of cheese and 40 pounds of apples...)

This little fridge was down in the shop and I loaded it in my Suzuki and brought it up to the house. At least we can have a few things we use close at hand. There is another little fridge in the guest quarters that we could use but going back and forth between the house and the shop would be too time consuming. So for now we will deal with things the way they are. Maybe tomorrow afternoon they will be able to fix my dear fridge - he is way to young to pass away. Our first fridge ever is pushing 30 and is still going strong...

Note: Just when I brought the little fridge into the kitchen, the big fridge finally quit running after over 24 hours. I wasn't sure if it was instant death or what. I cleaned up the little fridge and the moment I went to plug it in, the big fridge came back on! Somehow I think these two know exactly what is going on and are in cahoots...

While here, the repairman will check out the dishwasher drawer that had issues last month, too. And tomorrow is garbage day - perfect timing for cleaning out the fridge - see things are good here! How about you? Are you having fun, too?!

12 comments:

ruralrevivalfarm said...

I hope it's nothing serious. That's far too young to bite the dust!

~Andrea~

Mary said...

I know refrigerators have a secret life. I've seen and heard way too much over the years not to be convinced. I hope your repair guy figures it out. :)

Janice Grinyer said...

I am so glad you were at least able to take advantage of the winter cold thats been hanging around way too long!

Shame on that big frig - I hate when appliances mess with your mind...:D

Linda said...

Oh the joys of home ownership. Hope your sick fridge can be fixed.

Andrea said...

OH MY! Hope they are able to repair your fridge without to big of a dent in your wallet.
Blessings,
andrea

Tracy said...

figures...Murphy's law...
I had a bit of a rant this morning but thanks for asking; otherwise things are fine. I'm getting back into the swing of school after a three week vacation and it's reality, but a good one-

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

I guess it never a good time for a refrigerator to go out. Last year the day before we were supposed to leave for Powell River Mom's fridge went out. We ended up renting a dolly and swapping our fridge for hers until we could tend to it. We don't keep much food in ours so it wasn't hard to consolidate. But it sure was hard lugging the big monsters up and down the elevator between floors and through the narrow furniture filled entryways. Not a pleasant recollection. Needless to say, we never swapped them back. We just fixed the one we now call ours. - Margy

Anonymous said...

What a nightmare. My fridge makes some horrible noises. Makes me nervous as it is less than 2 years old.

Sue said...

The quality of new appliances has gone down considerably in the past ten years. Hope they can get your fridge back up and running. What a pain having to use coolers, etc.

Rae said...

Our 1 1/2 year old frig did that last fall. Same noise and same odd freezing pattern. Turned out it was the fan. It had gone out. $125.00 later, it was fixed, but I was madder than a hornet that a frig that new should go on the fritz. The warranty was only good for a year. What ever happened to the quality of appliances? Cheap junk anymore.

Kimberly @ We Call Her Momma said...

Last Saturday our 16 year old washing machine sprung a leak. DH decided we'd get a new one. Yipee! It was installed today. The dryer is about the same age but still running.

Our frig was purchased in 1993 But so far is keeping things cold.

The stove is probably from 1987 when the house was built. The coils slant. It's on it's last leg.

Four weeks ago the car (Toyota) with 212,000 miles on it needed rear brakes.

My daughter (and I) fixed the dishwasher.

When it rains it pours.

HermitJim said...

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya...a conspiracy!

Seriously, I do hope they get you all fixed up soon!