It is after midnight here and I am up watching all the news feeds about the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan just hours ago. I had gone to bed and was listening to the radio - my favorite nighttime station - KGO San Francisco. I heard the news and had to get up. This appears to be a tremendously damaging event that will surely have far reaching repercussions for us all. The eventual loss of life looks to be staggering from the way entire homes were being ripped away and swept along with the surge of the tsunami. I hope and pray that the nuclear reactors that Japan relies on very heavily were able to shut down safely. And I hope that the damage and losses are not as bad as it currently appears.
The television stations that we receive from Portland Oregon have had very good coverage thus far. Professor Scott Burns from the Portland State University geology department has been providing technical information. We had the honor of meeting him a few months ago - he is an extremely knowledgeable resource and has a passion for what he does. He has been able to explain what we are seeing and why it happens and what might be next and for how long. Our world of global technology is amazing and horrifying at the same time when we can watch events like this occurring live while we sit safely in our homes.
I am going to try to go back to bed now but my thoughts and prayers will be with all those that are in the path of the destruction.
8 comments:
I've been watching too. The destruction and devastation is unfathomable. Another blogger I follow has family located near the center of the earthquake hit and she is terrified for her relatives' safety. It must be awful for her seeing all the replays over and over on TV. I will be keeping them in my thoughts and prayers as well.
I have also been watching the unfolding events in japan,it is terrible and scary. What happened there could happen to any of us. My prayers are with these poor people. Blessings jane
Just horrible. I am visiting in Victoria BC and they have issued a tsunami watch over here. Our world seems to be going out of control lately.
Rita
It was a shock to wake this morning to the news in Japan. Daughter-in-law's family are in Osaka so I think that means they're safe.
Being a life long Texan the word tsunami had escaped me until we moved to Oregon a few years ago. At this hour it looks like the coast of Oregon is going to be okay. I was pleased to learn that all the work that's been done educating people about tsunamis has apparently paid off. People responded without a lot of effort by authorities to get them to leave the coast or evacuate. Very good.
I will admit to tears when I saw this on the news too. Hard to really comprehend the amount of troubles these days all over the world,this certainly was strikingly horrible. I think I just wept a little at the thought of all the suffering in Japan and other places as well. I pray the Lord accepted that little bit of quiet tears as a prayer for his mercy for the world.
It certainly is a tragedy...actually incomprehensible! So much destruction lately! They will all be in my thoughts and prayers. You know, I remember your past blog talking about your appliance woes and felt so bad for what you had to endure and now looking back, I'm certain you are thankful that it was just an inconvenience and nothing tragic.
take good care and have a blessed evening...
It was horrible waking up to this news today. I haven't even turned on my TV. The images on the computer have been hard enough to see.
This has all just been totally horrific..our prayers go out to all.
Post a Comment