Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Winter Returns to the High Desert...

After way too many days of unseasonably warm weather, winter returned with a vengeance. Snow came and went for a couple of days, six inches melting to three over and again. Saturday it snowed all day. It just kept coming and was so beautiful.

Yesterday I made a trip to town before the next storm comes blasting in. The wind was howling and dry snow was being shifted into new drifts.

The sun was shining, unaware of the pending weather. We are slated to drop below zero by Friday night.

This mama had just given birth to her calf when I saw her on my way into town. The calf was just rising up on wobbly legs in the icy wind when I first passed by. Now several hours later the calf is up and mama is giving me the protective stare of a new mother.

She was still working on cleaning the calf on my return trip. Seems many of the cattle in our area are giving birth now, the snowy fields dotted with little ones hunkered down against the weather.


Mama is still giving me the look... And the new calf has started to nurse and get some life giving nourishment to start out strong.

No matter the weather or season, there is always something wondrous to look at along the way when I head to town. I always wear and share a smile from what I see and how I feel...

9 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh goodness, how precious and you are right; no matter the weather, birth is always miraculous!

Sue said...

Those little ones sure get a cold welcome to the world.....

Those are some neat clouds in that picture. Must have been a beautiful drive. (If you're NOT getting sick of winter, which I am!!) This time of year is tough with the warm-ups followed by a return of the blustery cold.
At least you had something neat to see. What a bright spot in the day!

Anonymous said...

I love the pics and the bovines. I bet you will be glad when the snow stops. Blessings jane

Gorges Smythe said...

We always bred our Herefords to calve in April. Even then, they'd sometimes be greeted with snow.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. The snow here keeps coming - I am so sick of it.

DianeLynn said...

It is THU and I imagine you are probably have and or getting more snow. The storm that is hitting you are headed down my way and there is talk San Francisco may see snow flakes :)))
Beautiful pics and I too can see beauty just about anywhere...nature is just that way!

Mary said...

I love baby calves! I saw one born once when I was driving by too, coincidence? Back in Wisconsin--I used to drive by them all the time.
Sorry you have winter again/still. We're having a very nice day today and tomorrow I hope to actually put a few cool season crops in beds. Such a nice thing to look forward to. :)

Rachel said...

Nature and critters have a way of making us smile don't they!

Not sure how I found your blog, but I've enjoyed reading it. Such a touching post about your dog Angus and having him put down. My dog is currently 13 (shih-tzu) and I can sure tell a big difference in him. Oh I hate the thought!! He's been such a joy to us!!

Janice Grinyer said...

Most ranchers in our immediate area bred for end of March/April also...chance of cold weather is just too great

Thats one brave lil' guy!