Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day...

Saturday night I was at the grocery store and was amazed at all the commercialism. Yes, I suppose I should get out more... But with the down economy in our neck of the woods, who will be buying all this stuff?



Back many years ago in a simpler time, this is the Valentine that I made for my then boyfriend and now husband, Tramp 1. It is a rock - a rock that I painted to be a very large paperweight. I got the idea from Glamour magazine. I was working and going to college and wanted to give him something special.


And it turned out to be something that lasted. It is still with us - I found it tucked away in a box. This morning when Tramp 1 was in the shower, I snuck out to his car and put it on the front seat under his laptop. A couple of hours later he called from work and we had a good chuckle over my recycled Valentine for him.

He will be getting a treat later tonight but it will be homemade. I am going to make a wonderful recipe for Almond Cake from Portugal from Rita at Sage Cuisine. I have all the ingredients on hand and it sounds so delicious.

Tomorrow I think I will take a trip to town and see what kind of bargains I can find on some of those Valentine treats that will be marked down!

11 comments:

ain't for city gals said...

I think that all the time...who is still buying this stuff!?! I guess someone is but it amazes me...that is what I thought over Christmas..are people still buying? I know my family isn't...we are just trying to hold on to what we have...

Tracy said...

YEs, it truly is a commercialized holiday...thank you Hallmark! But I don't need a day to tell those I love, that I love them!
I love your paper-weight...how cute!
I'll also have to check out Rita's cake recipe as it sounds delicious!
Happy Day!

Anonymous said...

I love the v day rock,very pretty! I went grocery shopping,believe me food was all I bought,that was costly enough! I am going to try to make bread,regular and sweet,if you have any bread recipes please pass them on. Happy v day. Blessings jane

Sue said...

How sweet-saving that rock all this time. What great memories that must bring back.

I suppose all the young-and-in-loves still buy that stuff....but that's long ago here. We buy each other a card, I bake something sweet, and we have a fine day.

DianeLynn said...

Most of my life I have worked in the retail world and for me it was quite depressing cause I saw myself in the customers. I witness people buy things that they could not afford nor need. Most were looking for some kind of comfort and spending only gave them a temporary fix. I learned a lot...been there & done that and finally I kick the habit and I don't need that fix anymore. :)

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Valentines is a low key day for us. Love the rock. I had fun painting some rocks a few years back, mostly garden critters to tuck here and there. - Margy

Anonymous said...

My kids boycotted Valentine's Day by wearing black to school. Crazy kids!!

Carol............. said...

What a sweet Valentine's gift...the painted rock!

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

Now that's a rock worth keeping. Nice art work there! Seems to me that's about the same time the Pet Rocks came out. I'm a little embarrassed to admit, I think I had one of those. I was young. lol

Mary said...

Aww that's cute. I love homemade stuff. :) so much better.
I'm doing babysitting duty for my kids for valentines gift. #1 Son gets to take his wife on an overnight and I get to spend more time with my Ruby--win/win. :)

Margaret said...

What a lovely story. Turns out your love and marriage are as strong as that rock. Pray tell...how did your dessert turn out?