Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Sunday, December 5, 2010

What I did for love...

Yesterday was Tramp 1's day. Kind of his last hurrah before surgery. So we got in the car and took a drive - over 300 miles, with a good amount of it on snow and ice - over two mountain passes. We were only gone for the day... over one pass and back on the other.

Where did we go? We went to wonderful Oregon wine country to a wine tasting event. We had yummy treats and wine while catching up with some friends, whom we had not seen since just before Tramp 1's shoulder surgery in April.

It was a nice drive - no really big accidents anywhere. (The biggest football game in Oregon history kept some of the people off the roads...) Yes, the tow trucks were busy on Mt. Hood but coming home in the dark over Santiam pass there was very little traffic and it was quite beautiful with the heavy snow. Now we have all that beauty here, too, as it had snowed before we left yesterday and it snowed more during the night and this morning.

Okay, so you ask what did I do for love? I gave up the opportunity to hear Temple Grandin speak at the Oregon Cattlemen's Association meeting. If you don't know about her, please learn. Her story is featured in an award winning HBO movie by the same name that took 7 Emmy awards. She is autistic, has a Ph.d., is a professor at Colorado State University and has written some very amazing books about understanding animals. If surgery wasn't looming, I would have been there to see and listen to her... Her story is truly inspirational.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh, I teach children with autism and would love to hear Temple Grandin...I've read a few of her books but to see her in person would be awesome...
but you know what, giving up that to be with Tramp 1 would have been something I would have done as well; with no thought or second glance...good for you!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing for you to do for Tramp 1.

wendyytb said...

Sending best wishes to Tramp #1 for a speedy recovery from his surgery!

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Nice trip for you and Tramp 1. Tell him I'm thinking good thoughts for him. - Margy