After a lot of thought, I decided that we just had to have a Christmas tree. So I gingerly climbed up into the attic to bring down our artificial tree. I wrestled the box down the ladder (did you know that you can use a boob as kind of a third arm if you have to?!). The box sat waiting in the garage. A few days later, I decided that the whole thing was folly and I dragged the boxed tree back up into the attic. I did string lights outside so we can see the merry glow from every side of the house, their colorful sparkle bouncing off the glistening snow.
While we can survive without the Christmas tree, we could not skip doing some holiday baking. The first thing I made were these easy and wonderful Turtle Pretzel treats.
Start with waffle weave pretzels, Rolo caramel candy and pecans.

Stack in the order shown above, adding a chocolate chip on top to help glue down the pecan half. Put in a 300 degree oven for just three minutes.

Remove from the oven and gently press a pecan half on top of each one, pushing down to squash the melted candy piece.

When cool, plate them up, take a picture and then hide them. They will disappear very quickly if you don't!
After making the first batch of Turtle Pretzel treats, we just had to keep on cooking...

Next came raspberry almond and orange marmalade shortbread thumbprints.

And Christmas isn't complete with out fruitcake - these are petite fruitcakes soaked in brandy.

This is a very simple to make treat - cranberry nut bark.

Called reindeer poop, these are chocolate covered peanuts.

From both of our childhood memories - toasty macaroons.
There are still several other items we are making - Basler Brunsli cookies, various brittles, pumpkin fudge and Irish cream liquor. And we have smoked four kinds of cheese, made jerky and handcrafted pastrami. Makes me tired just thinking of it all...
Tramp 1 update - He is doing better and will be consulting with the physical therapist tomorrow to start working his leg to regain strength. Therapy for his back has to wait for more healing time. He started telecommuting to work today and is quite tired tonight. Me, too!!
11 comments:
Oh 2Tramps, you have just solved my problem...I love the turtle candies made with the pretzels; now I have a dish to make for a party on Christmas eve.
You have been busy, girl...I am impressed!
Thank you very much for your thoughtful comments on my blog. I enjoy your feedback and take it to heart. I am so glad we have made a connection as you add joy to my days!
Everything looks really delicious! You've been very busy in the kitchen. Wishing you a very merry Christmas and a speedy recovery to Tramp 1!
Love what you were able to do with that boob; must give it a try.
Lovely sweets and those macaroons look just like the one I used to make.Getting lazy in my old age.Hope your man is doing good.
Rita
Looking at all those goodies sure makes me hungry! Hot coffee and ...Goodies!
What could be better?
Glad that Tramp1's leg is improving and hope the back does the same!
You have a great holiday!
It's no wonder you didn't put up a Christams tree......with all those goodies....there's just no room in your little cabin!! lol You're making my mouth water!(:
I was so distracted by the sweets.....I spelled Christmas wrong! lol
My mouth is watering. Everything looks so good.
A boob as a third hand - here I thought I was the only one that had that talent:)
Wait till you guys discover what your butt can do! It's going to be a wonderful holiday for you, this year, because it's about the healing... come visit when you can... I'm going to get me some Rollos!
Delicious post. Back in the day my boob could have been a third arm but now it is just "hanging" around ;-)
i SWEAR i have I gained 3 pounds just by looking at this post...;P
Glad to hear Tramp 1 is doing well. All of your treats look delicious!!
Post a Comment