Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Timing is everything...

Today we will hopefully find out when Tramp 1 will be getting an MRI of his back. We met with the Dr. a week ago Monday and he ran some tests and found nerve damage - not good. In fact, the Dr. came to me, held my hand and said how sorry he was... Sheesh, he doesn't know us well - we were prepared for this. We knew that surgery was most likely the only option left. The MRI will be the deciding factor and if surgery is required, the nerve damage might be reversible in time. The last spinal injection did help with the pain but the loss of strength in his leg is troublesome.

And as the saying goes, timing is everything. Tramp 1 is difficult - he doesn't want to stop any activities. So on Thanksgiving day we embarked on a trip to go help out his elderly parents. We arrived at their home on Friday and made it back here on Monday night. We traveled over several mountain passes and through snow, ice, fog and sun. The entire trip was over 1200 miles - and I had to drive... Several hours into the trip, Tramp 1 discovered that he had forgotten his wallet in another coat... But it was probably for the best as the Dr. said it wasn't a great thing to have him driving much right now.

We were able to have a break along the way at my Mom's where we enjoyed a Thanksgiving dinner with family. It is very humbling every time we travel on a holiday - it is us, a few other passenger vehicles and many trucks. Those great truckers really work hard to keep our nation supplied with food and retail goods. We tend to take it for granted that whatever we might want to buy will always be there on the shelves when we go to the store. And it usually is, thanks to those hearty truck drivers traveling our country no matter the weather.

These are California big horn sheep in the Yakima river canyon south of Ellensburg Washington. It is the only photo I took during the entire trip.

On our travels we saw antelope, deer, bald eagles, golden eagles, ducks, pheasant, Canada geese, herons, trumpeter swans and several coyotes. And we probably missed a few critters along the way.

Our weather here has moderated in the last two days. It was -9 the night before we left on our trip and snowing Monday night when we got home. But today looks pretty warm - we might hit 40 - that will be so nice!

10 comments:

Rita said...

What a beautiful post! We say some big horn sheep fo teh frist time last year in Banff, ALberta.
Thank you for your kind words; I wasn't sure how my subject would be read. I can just imagine what you re going through with your husband. Life is sometimes very frustrating. I just can't get over you undertook that long trip in these conditions. You are a good person and it is my priviledge to follow you.
Rita

2 Tramps said...

Rita,
Your comment is so very kind - thank you. Yes, life can be frustrating but it is better to just deal with the issues versus letting them pile up. Most of all we need to share our experiences because you never know when what you are going through might help someone else along the way.

We had to make the trip north quickly because if Tramp 1 has surgery, his travel will be limited and we felt his parent's needs were critical. Siblings that live nearby them will hopefully keep the ball rolling now...

Tracy said...

2 Tramps, I'm sorry to hear about Tramp 1 and his impending surgery...I found you through Linda's site and got to reading your blog. Very nice...I love the photos as well.

2 Tramps said...

Tracy -
Welcome to Tramp's Camp. Tramp 1 is having that MRI as I write this, so in the next few days we will learn about his options. I dread surgery as I have a tough time keeping him down!

So glad you enjoy the photos. I don't seem to get them posted as often as I would like to!

Gorges Smythe said...

I hope goes well for you folks. I said a prayer for you both just before I replied. May the Lord keep you both in the palm of his hand.

Linda said...

Oh dear, this sounds serious. Keep us posted. Blessings on you as you make decisions in the coming days.

2 Tramps said...

Mr. Smythe,
Thank you for your prayers - they are much appreciated. Tramp 1 just wants to be able to get back to doing anything wants to... I am not so sure that will ever be allowed by me anyway!

Linda,
Yes, we may be faced with some serious choices. Spinal fusion has been tossed around during the problems of the last several years. I feel every year that surgery can be avoided has brought about possibilities of new procedures and opportunities. We always try to look at the up side... Thanks for your concern.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Tramp 1. I hope he will be OK.

2 Tramps said...

Thanks Mel. I think he would be better if you would come put up our Christmas lights since you have everything done already!! Honestly - he has fallen off the roof twice so far - I try very hard to keep him off it!

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

Sorry about Tramp 1. If it comes to surgery we'll pray it goes well. Better get that guy some really good books so he'll behave himself until he's better able to move around.