Last week we had weather. The snow came before the bitter cold arrived and blanketed our landscape, protecting plants with nature's fluffy insulation.

And yes, I know it is time to change the banner to something more seasonal - but is sure pops out against the snow...
Before the snow and temperature extremes hit, I decided it was time to pull the last of the tomato plants that I had been protecting every night and during cold days with heavy frost blankets.

They were still looking quite good considering it was close to the end of November.

All these tomatoes came from those last three plants that we so diligently cared for. They will keep ripening for the next month or so.

These are from our upper garden area where the plants were grown in large pots. They are mainly small fruited varieties and we like to let them ripen on the vine.
When I go to town to shop for groceries I have to remind myself not to purchase tomatoes. It is so unseemly to still be enjoying fresh tomatoes from our garden this late in the season. Although last year I think we ate our last home grown fresh tomato in February.
With the winter weather upon us, are your thoughts starting to turn to spring? How did your tomatoes do and what types will you be growing this next season?
4 comments:
Wow! Now that is a big ol' bunch of tomato's. I still think it's amazing that you can still have garden fresh tomato's right on into the winter months.
Around here we are getting ready for spring too even though it seems so far away. The seed catalogs are starting to arrive, which means the "dreaming of spring" has started.
Fresh tomatoes? Seed catalogs? I have 17" of snow. Nope, have not thought about tomatoes, or seeds, or gardens. However, I have been thinking about Lake Powell....... in Arizona....fishing....sunning....floating the lake. Ahhhh....
I figured you got hit with a good amount of snow. That same system even brought us some. Great looking tomatoes nice to see them this time of the year...makes spring/summer look good in winter.
LOVE LOVE your quote on top of your page. Was it just for me? Cause I needed it! Thanks. :)
Nothing beats a home grown tomato!!
Post a Comment