Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Friday, March 26, 2010

Spring - on hold, weather delay...

Okay, where did it go? Spring was supposed to be here now. You know - new life, plants budding and leafing out, warmer breezes thick with pollen... Not icy wind thick with snow...

I just went to roll this poor guy outside and heard his screaming "No, I won't go!". So I left him all jammed up against the BBQ's in the garage.

This Star Jasmine has been with me for many years - at least 15+ years. And yes, it doesn't like the climate here in the high desert - too cold in winter, too hot in summer and too dry all the time. But I baby the dear thing, rolling it in and out for months until it can finally be put outside in the coolest, shadiest spot we have where I will water and mist it, trying to create a less hostile environment for it. But today it won't be going outside...

What about you? Any favorite plants that you have nursed along through thick and thin?

7 comments:

Linda said...

I left all my plants behind when I left Texas headed for Oregon. I've always loved ivies so I planted a couple of pots of English Ivy for my patio. Not a good thing to do. I soon learned it is looked upon as an agressive weed in this part of the state. Oops. I trashed all of it out of sympathy for the ban on English ivy that's to go into effect in June.

Sharlene T. said...

It's really hard to figure out what to plant. Had to pick the strawberry flowers, yesterday, so we could have sweeter fruit in June. Why can't they just wait?!?

Anke said...

Hubby and the girls got me a hibiscus last year for mothers day and it got put in the garage to overwinter there. I hope it made it, I'm excited to repot it and bring it back outside when it's warmer. There is also a mini meyer lemon and orange that are in the house right now and will go back outside (hopefully) soon.

Mary said...

I have a little bay tree in my living room that goes out in warm. My friend has put hers out already.. I'm not so trusting. I was shocked at the nursery recently to see they are selling HUGE annuals and even tomato plants. I thought gosh its just too early to put those out, its gonna take alot of watering to keep 'em that big in houses. I spose folks will though.

Sue said...

I have a geranium that is now 7 years old. I started it from a cutting I "stole" when I babysat a friends plants years ago. She passed away recently. It's nice to know a bit of her lives on, on my windowsill.

Carol............. said...

I tried growing Star Jasmine one year but it's jut too cold in the winter in Washington State.....but boy did it ever smell good!

♥ Pacy said...

I love jasmine, The smell always takes me back to nights by our pool in Florida when I was growing up.Boy does that bring back memories ☻ The only plant I've had for years is a large 50 gallon pot of aloe. When the kids were growing up they went to Florida and stayed at the grandparents. They brought me back a small little bunch of aloe that I stuck in a pot which grew up a whole heck of alot. The only reason it has survived all these years is because I can't kill it. It's in a corner of my dining room and I think I remenber to water it maybe 4 times a year. Gets almost no sunlight. I put it out on the front stoop last year and thought I had killed it with the sunburn it got, but I brought it in and it's still living. Go figure.
♥ Pacy