Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Getting ready for spring...

It is quite cold outside today but the sun is shining and that has my thoughts on cleaning up some things in the garden. Snippets of green are starting to appear underneath the dry leftovers of the plantings from last year. It seems like time to remove the dead stalks of things to make way for the new growth. But I will wait a bit longer because the temperature is going to be dropping into the teens again at night and the dry spent foliage helps to protect the tender new shoots of things.

In the meantime, Rock Guy and Landscape Guy came back this morning to work on finishing things that had to be abandoned due to weather issues. We did a walk-through to refresh our minds about what still needs doing. I must say I am a bit overwhelmed by it all. Tramp 1 says to just let Rock Guy do his thing - he is very good at it. But I still get nervous... And we are now at the point where we need to involve Sprinkler Guy and Electric Guy.

The very good thing about getting all this going again now is that Tramp 1 is scheduled for shoulder surgery in April. The pain just keeps getting worse and he isn't getting the sleep he needs to be able to function well. This is going to be the fourth surgery since 2005 - one back, two knees and now a shoulder. He will be unable to work for a couple of weeks as it is his right shoulder - no mousing or typing, both of which he does extensively. And he faces several months of physical therapy after the surgery. So the more that gets accomplished here now, the less there will be for him to try to do when he shouldn't. He is a tough guy to slow down!

I am headed back outside to start figuring out how and where to move things that will be in the way. This isn't how I had planned to spend my day but I need to be sure to protect some of my favorite pots of things. And our temporary outdoor kitchen area will have to be dismantled and the pellet grill and BBQ's will need to be moved. I will do all I can and have the guys move the big stuff like the Traeger pellet grill - it weighs in at close to 180 pounds and moving it when Tramp 1 had his back surgery in 2005 is probably how I ended up with my neck issues! It will all get done... Change is good, change is good....

6 comments:

Mary said...

Been doin' the same thing this week, cleaning up the last garden. Why do we never do that in fall like we're supposed to?

Anyhow big news this evening-- I went to cut a little chives for dinner, and peeked in my pea patch and containers--and there's little bits of green starting to show! The peas have finally germinated. :) There's hope. :)

Anke said...

I actually like cleaning up the garden after the winter month. It's like a new beginning and there seem to be so many possibilities. Hope everything with the surgery works out!

Mary said...

Also wish Tramp 1 good luck on the surgery. My brother is a professional painter and had surgery on his painting shoulder and is still working quite a few years later. Amazing what they can do these days!

ain't for city gals said...

One day at a time...sounds like you have your hands full...

Leslie said...

Best wishes to Tramp 1 on his upcoming shoulder surgery. He must be ready to be done with all of the pain and surgeries. Looks like the next couple months will be busy ones for you. Take Care!

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Sounds like you have the right "guy" for everything. Make sure Tramp 1 takes it easy and doesn't try to lend a hand (or shoulder as it were). - Margy