Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Sunday, March 7, 2010

Just one night of rest...

It is going to be a beautiful day here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. We made a trip over the mountains to attend to some things here and work on our old house that we are planning to sell. Since there is just an air mattress on the floor to sleep on, we decided to get a motel. We usually sleep on that air mattress but with Tramp 1's back issues and his upcoming shoulder surgery, we decided to stay where there was a nice, comfy bed.

We settled into our room last evening and tried to decided what to have for dinner. After much deliberation - and I do mean much... - Tramp 1 went to the Kentucky Fried Chicken place. He came back with a one meal variety box and a special bowl meal that we could share. We were really hungry - it was after 8:00 PM. I waited as he changed into his lounging outfit - a thermal long sleeved shirt and fleece pants with deer on them. We finally were able to dig into our unhealthy bounty. I commented that our meal was pretty spendy, after seeing the receipt on the desk. It was then that Tramp 1 realized that they had forgotten to give him the cake he bought. Or he had forgotten to take it. Whatever it was, he called them and then headed out (in his deer covered fleece...) to retrieve the missing cake - the cake we shouldn't be eating... When he got back we enjoyed our nasty feast of decadent treats.

After watching a movie on TV, we collapsed into our wonderful bed. So many motels are putting in really great beds and this place sure had a good one. Even the pillows were great and that is rare. We drifted off to sleep instantly. Tramp 1 can sleep through just about anything but I am not so fortunate. So I sleep with a Walkman and ear buds quite often. Even with those ear buds and the air/heat/fan unit turned on, I groggily woke up at 1:30 AM to the sounds of very loud voices in the next room. I wasn't happy... I got up and listened and could clearly hear a fight going on. And it was a dirty fight.... The man was verbally abusing his wife and it was a very sad thing to hear. She tried to get him to be quiet and even told him they might be kicked out of the hotel. He continued to berate her, attacking her with everything from self esteem issues to the $75,000 he spent on her education to get her Master's degree. It was obvious that this was not the first marriage for either of them. He accused her of allowing a past spouse to treat her badly for 19 years and that it was all her fault. And maybe it was.... And maybe she was at fault for part of this altercation.... But I didn't want to hear about it - I just wanted to sleep!

After an hour, the fight was still going on but I finally fell asleep again. But I am groggy this morning from their discourse in the night. And I am sad for them. I wonder how it all ended and if she is okay this morning. I honestly thought a few times last night that we would hear shots fired and have a bullet come whizzing into our room! Funny thing, we always ask for the top floor - it is usually the quietest! And when we saw some parents and kids from a soccer team checking in, we thought we would have a noisy night. We never thought it would be provided by the well dressed older couple that checked in behind us.

Yes, I should have called the front desk to complain... But I figured that the night person didn't need to have to deal with this couple and I honestly thought they would quit. And I was worried about repercussions, either for us or for the woman involved. Sometimes attempting to diffuse a situation like this can just lead to more issues. So I didn't call... And I didn't bang on the wall like I would have in my youth, back when the world was a safer place. What would you have done?

5 comments:

Betty said...

Sounds as though you had a intersting time. Glad you heard no shots that would have been very bad. I think I would not get inveloved in a domestic dispute as long as it was verbal.If someone was getting hurt then i would call the police.
♥♥ Hugs ♥♥

2 Tramps said...

Betty,
Tramp 1 said it continued much later and he heard the woman crying. When we checked out we asked the desk clerk what to do should we ever encounter this again. She said to call the front desk (only person there at night) and they go to the door of the room and listen. Then they call the police. They don't deal with the motel patrons themselves.

We are sure glad to be back home again!! And it is snowing here this morning.

ain't for city gals said...

Sometimes there is just no place like home...I really don't know what I would have done..I know if I would see that on the street or a store I would speak up but not being able to see them "in person" puts a whole lot of question marks into the equation...sometimes amazing what a woman will tolerate...sad for sure..

♥ Pacy said...

I would of done the same thing, though I'm such a Night Owl I probably wouldn't of been able to fall back asleep.
Pacy

Sue said...

I feel bad for the lady, but honestly, if they are doing this in a hotel, it's going on at home too. There is really nothing that will change this. It's terrible when this happens, and it's a shame that it has obviously gotten so bad that it spills over in public. Hopefully this woman will "wake up" soon and realize she needs to get help or get out.
I'm in the midst of a trip now, and am getting less and less sleep...seems people don't realize any more that they aren't the only ones in the hotel. I'm afraid this may be our last trip.....it gets worse each time out!