Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Sunday, November 22, 2009

What a week!

This past week flew by with my time consumed by the projects at hand and the care of my ailing Tramp 1. On Monday, Rock Guy and his crew came to start the retaining wall in front of the new deck, currently being built. First to arrive was their equipment - a Bobcat and an excavator. Then came two dump trucks filled with boulders. And I mean big boulders - I had been expecting smaller rocks about the size of a volleyball. But these approached the size of wheelbarrow!

I had figured the rock wall construction would take several days. Was I ever wrong! By the afternoon, it was just about finished and it looked great!

There is a neat feature that diverts water from the gutters over rocks and down a dry creek bed.


And some very cool steps to transition from the deck level to the yard level.



After most of the work on the retaining wall was finished, they started tearing up the front yard. We had been planning to wait until spring to tackle more but since the equipment was already on site, it made sense to keep on going.



The previous owner planted the wrong plants in the wrong places and it was necessary to clear it all out of the way and start fresh.

In the end, it looks pretty good but will look much better when we plant new things. We will be putting in some aspen trees, pine and spruce trees and other low growing drought tolerant shrubs and grasses.

Then they worked on the backyard - they created what we needed. Rock guy is very talented and we let him design what he felt was best.

By Friday, they were working away from the house behind the shop. They tore out juniper trees and cleared a new area for another garden. A dump truck load of gravel was spread to make a better access road, too

They won't be back until after Thanksgiving week. Then they will tackle the side yard and make a space for Tramp 1 to build an outdoor kitchen - a roofed area to BBQ out of the weather - we had snow today! And two more loads of boulders will be coming to finish the retaining wall and to be added in the front yard. My head is spinning from it all!

Meanwhile, Tramp 1 is still suffering and on Vicodin, Flexeril and Relafen. We saw the Neurosurgeon on Friday and he is referring us on to a pain management physician. Anything to help stave off another surgery for as long as possible. In the meantime, I have my hands full taking care of Tramp1 - the poor guy can't even put his socks on! And with all the pain and drugs, I can't let him drive. So I take him to work - 50 miles round trip - he sleeps in the car on the way there. Sometimes I stay in town and wait to bring him home or he will catch a ride with someone when he can. I only hope that he can start feeling better soon. And I know all the work going on outside is really important so Tramp 1 can't try to do it himself!

10 comments:

Sue said...

Wow-the yard is looking great! It's making me think I should just hire out some of the work-sooooo much faster, and would certainly be easier on me.
And I'm so very sorry your husband is going through all that pain. I can't imagine how you guys are coping so well (and he goes to work???)

2 Tramps said...

Sue,

Off season is a great time to do a project like this. While we had not planned to do it now, am sure glad we are. All the planting will be done by us later.

Yes, Tramp 1 hates to miss work. Old school guy, very dedicated and loves his job. I must say it gives me a break when he is at work and the drive back and forth gives me time to think... Maybe good, maybe not... I admit I am pretty darned tired at the end of the day. And I realize just how much he is a helpmate in my life. He is frustrated not being able to help, too.

Rae said...

The project is coming along nicely. It is going to look fantastic when it is finished. My best to Tramp 1. I hope he gets some relief soon. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Judy T said...

Oh, that all looks beautiful! I love the big boulders. I hope Tramp 1 is soon back on duty!
Judy

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

A HUGE project, but the end result will be wonderful. I love the free form rock steps. So natural looking. Sorry to hear that Tramp 1 is taking so long to recover. It must be hard to work even after you give him the chauffeur service. - Margy

Anonymous said...

Hey 2, the rock wall is fabulous, and I love the house colours, looking good!

Leslie said...

I think the rock wall is terrific! They did a really good job stacking the boulders, and so fast. I like your dry streams too. It is going to look so good when finished.

Sorry to hear about Tramp 1 being in so much pain. He sure is one lucky guy to have you there. My prayers are with him for relief and a fast recovery.

HermitJim said...

Things are really looking good! Sorry to hear that the big guy is down and I hope he can start to get better real soon!

Nice to have you around to care for him a bit...and I know he appreciates it!

Kathy said...

I can't believe how different it looks, they are doing a great job. The rock stairs are way cool.

2 Tramps said...

Thanks all for your interest in our project. The holiday has presented us with a nice break and a weather delay due to icy conditions. Keep following for future updates.