Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Sunday, November 15, 2009

Enjoying the harvest

Last week while cleaning the garage I had to deal with the tomato vines I had cut in late September. We were experiencing heavy frosts so I cut the vines and put them in boxes in the garage to ripen the tomatoes that were left.



The vines had dried so I separated them from the tomatoes. We ended up with enough tomatoes that I won't have to buy any until maybe late December.




Our potato crop, harvested two weeks ago, looks pretty good, too. I was afraid that they were left in the ground too long, but they seem to be just fine.



Before the killing frosts hit, I moved this nice pepper plant inside and have it sitting in a sunny spot near the front door. It looks pretty happy!


And just like last year, the basil plant came inside, too, and is doing well. The plant next to it is a ginger plant. A piece of ginger from the store sprouted and I planted it. It enjoys the morning sun alongside the basil.

8 comments:

Sue said...

That's a really neat idea ripening the remaining tomatoes on the vine like that. I've never seen it done like that, but it just makes sense.
I don't think there is a way to make a tomato taste as good as sun ripened, but this should be a big step up from just wrapping the individual ones in newspaper. Thanks for sharing!

murphyfish said...

Hi Both,
You done well, I can almost taste those toms as I read your blog, A nice harvest indeed.
Murph

Rae said...

A very nice harvest. And it is so nice to have it from your own garden rather than store bought.

Hickchick said...

I second Sue's comment--this will be something to try next year instead of mourning all the frozen fruits. Thanks!

Judy T said...

Your pepper plant looks lovely! I agree with some of the others- I may have to try the tomato on the vine trick next year (if we don't lose them all to blight again)
Judy

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

All my tomatoes came and went early this year. The last ripened indoors and were consumed or frozen in September. I dug my potatoes up on the hill, but was very disappointed in the harvest. I think next year I need to hill them as they grow a bit. The ones I did in the barrel were much bigger and more productive. - Margy

2 Tramps said...

Sue,

I came about ripening them this way due to early frost last season. It is a lazy way - very easy to just cut the vines into a tote and wait.

Murph,

Thanks and welcome to Tramp's Camp. Glad you stopped by.

Rae,

I still find myself eyeing the tomatoes in the store!

Hickchick,

Hope this method helps you out next season.

Judy,

We struggled with early blight, too, but were able to correct the temp and humidity cause by keeping them too protected. Let's hope next season is better for us all..

Margy,

Your barrel potatoes looked so good. It is amazing that you grow so many things in your floating garden!

Leslie said...

Your peppers look delicious!