Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Friday, November 13, 2009

The Care and Feeding of a Pet

We are still missing our dear old dog Angus here. Guess we always will... While we wait to get our yard in shape before we get another dog, we do at least have one pet.


This is Guido - our scorpion. I found him in the shop in September - almost stepped on him. He is our third pet scorpion, replacing Bob and Steve, both passed on after a good life. We find these fellas often in the summer and not outdoors but inside the garage or shop mostly. While they aren't very toxic, old Angus had a reaction to being stung by one. We always had to carry Benadryl for him as he was a reactor. Anyway, Guido is a strange little guy. He gets scared of his food - he runs away from an earwig or spider or fly. Not a good way to be for a scorpion. And now food is getting more difficult to find for him. Will have to hit the pet store and buy him some nice meal worms - yummm! Learn more about scorpions here.


We used to have a couple of these guys as pets, too. They are lots of fun to watch and seem to like watching us, too. I used to feed them damp wood termites with a spoon - they would come right up and gobble them up off the tip of the spoon. I found this poor fellow half drowned in the watering can last week. He was so cold he could not move. I got him warmed up and put him on a rock in the weak sun where he could recover and find his way to somewhere safe to hibernate.

4 comments:

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Those are some unusual pets. But I guess I call our garter snakes "Butch" even though there must be more than one. We have our nesting swallows each year (no names) and of course a gazillion wood rats that have names that I can write in public (I don't count them as pets anyway). What would life surrounded by nature be without unusual pets. - Margy

Sue said...

Blech.....I would pass on having a pet scorpion. Thats a face not even a mother could love!

Rae said...

I think I will stick to dogs. I want to cuddle with my pets and those just don't look like they are in that category.

Leslie said...

That scorpion is so prickly and if (or I should say when) I find a big one, like that, I will be completely creeped out. When I first moved to my house I was vacuuming and found a tiny one under a rug. I put it in a jar and fed it a small clicker beetle. The next day the scorpion was eaten and the beetle was alive. I am fascinated by all living creatures but that huge scorpion is so, so, creepy! Now lizards are a different story, I like them alot.