The naked hoop houses look pretty sad. I uncover them if the weather allows. Right now the snow has melted away. But you can be sure that we will be getting more.
This swiss chard has been amazing - it just keeps growing.
The continued growth of the garden serves to illustrate the difference raised beds can make. They retain the warmth longer and seem to offer more protection from freezing. Of course, the hoop houses with their fabric covers help, too.
The picture above is from early December - it shows me that the garden has really gone downhill in the past month. And that is a good thing because the urge to dig in the dirt is starting to rise up inside of me. I am taking mental notes about which beds need what kind of amending. I will be making up a shopping list soon and will be ordering a roll of fabric for the hoop houses. Time will be spent inventorying seeds and creating a plan.
Two vows I make for this season are:
I will not do any seasonal planting - pots or otherwise - that is not supplied with water by the irrigation system. Having a drip system is really good - but you need to have all the plants on the system to make life a bit easier during the growing season.
I will not grow things that are not successful for my climate, growing season and pest population. Even with the temps dipping to -1 degrees, I am still finding cabbage worms on some plants. It is bad enough to have to patrol for horn worms. Why struggle with a badly chosen crop when you can grow specific vegetables that will reliably produce a harvest? (The word "harvest" needs to refer to multiples - not just "one" of something!)
What about you? What are you planning to change or plant in your garden?
4 comments:
Hey Girlfriend...first of all I apologize for not responding a month ago to your e-mail...so appreciate the thoughts but just have been off line line a lot. We are doing good though and hope all is well for you and yours...my mom takes a little more time now but that is a good thing too...You are so ahead in what I would like to do for food growth...I really need to get serious about that and want to but...last year we hooked up with a guy in Yarnell who has a huge organic garden...let us buy (cheap) all we needed so that was good. Anyway..thinking of you...xoxo
Last year I had tremendous luck with dried beans. Plan on planting a bed full this year. My rule of thumb will be to plant what we will get the most use of...like tomatoes and squashes, carrots and beans!
Looks like your gardens are doing well. I have to make some modifications this season. I was going to this week end but it has snowed!
http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/
Your hoop gardens have inspired me to get my favorite cold-weather crops down here in NC. My waist-high bed just keeps on producing but I've had to cut back on the cooler crops because it gets so hot! Will be ready for next year. Where do you get the hoop garden cloth? Come visit when you can.
Post a Comment