Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Practicing for the Rodeo!!!

Yep, I think I am just about ready to enter the calf roping event. Only thing is - I don't use a horse.... or a calf... Trying to get a leash on Chucky is an all out wrestling show down. Tonight I was at my wits end as he was hell bent to have the leash in his mouth to drag me around. Not happening - not here, not tonight! It wasn't a pretty picture but I am sure you can conjure up some sort of a visual of your own. I had the leash on him, squirting him in the face with my little derringer squirt gun trying to get him to release the leash. When he finally did, I had to get it lashed around his middle - it is a check cord leash and is meant to be wrapped that way. I was exasperated and it was getting dark. I wasn't going to give an inch on this one so I had to put the damned leash in my mouth to hold it while I hog tied him to get it around him. Yecchhh!!! Dog germs!!!! But I won this round - to the victor goes the spoils - or in my case, probably some nasty parasite....





I never would have believed that this adorable, soft, sweet little puppy would become a cousin to Cujo! Things will be changing here very soon. This weekend Chucky will start training with a shock collar to help him remember a couple of things - like his name and where he lives!

And he was a terrible little brat at the Vet's office this morning. So embarrassing... That is another adventure now - he has a yeast infection in his ear and I have to clean it and put medication in it twice a day. That will probably qualify me for bronc riding!!!

Yippee-Ki-Yi-Yay - get along little Chucky!!!

(Nuthin' little about him - 72 pounds at 9 months)


6 comments:

Sue said...

Looks like Chucky is ready for some training. You need to get a handle on this before he gets much bigger. I think Chuckie thinks HE'S the boss. He's such a great dog, and he's now at the age to get him trained--if the shock collar doesn't work, you might want to consider a professional trainer. It would be well worth the money. He can grow up be a really good dog--it just takes time. I just don't want him wearing YOU out in the process!
:D

Debbie said...

Ah dogs! Max the Wonder Dog was as quiet as a mouse the first week we had him.....and then he woke up and looked around. For quite a while I wondered if I could just take him back to the rescue shelter.

When he finally sees you as the "Alpha Male" then things will be better. He is so cute!

Anke said...

With our first large dog we wound up using a prong collar. After a few yanks on it while going for a walk, our dog figured our really quick who's in charge. After a while we were able to go back to a normal collar and only had to use the prong occasionally to remind him. Good luck with the training!

Rubye Jack said...

Positive reinforcement works. That's all I've got to say.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

That's quite a handful, but I know you are up to it. - Margy

Anonymous said...

Shock collars & Prong collars should not be necessay if you are a pack leader. Had 80lb Shepard mix, I'm 100lb, never used anything but love (no treats) to train him. Otherwise, it's cruel.