Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hot August - Creating Shade

Our August weather has brought some steady heat to the high desert. It will be pushing 95 here today. Not my favorite temperature but necessary for our garden to get a strong push before fall arrives.


When we had the new deck built, we incorporated a pergola I designed. Most of the time it doesn't need to make shade, so it looks like this picture. The rods going across the pergola are polished copper pipe.


With the hot weather we decided to get a cover up over the pergola. We bought three market umbrellas to cover the top of the pergola. They are opened and then tied to the pipes. We cut the poles to the umbrellas off at the level of the pipes. They make wonderful shade and also look really good - a bit whimsical - and they haven't blown away, either!

What do you do to stay cool?


9 comments:

Rubye Jack said...

They look great!
Me, I stay in with the AC, but then it is usually over 100 here in OK.

Sue said...

We get about 3 days a year that are HOT. We don't have air conditioning--we just shut the windows in the morning to keep the house cool and have a "siesta" day. I won't tell you it was 71 today for the high. Nope. Won't say a word.
:)

Christine said...

This summer has been a scorcher here in Oklahoma so I've stayed in on most of those days under the AC. On cooler days I will work out in the yard a bit or relax on our screened-in deck and read. We did go to the mountains in New Mexico a few weeks ago to get away from the heat. Really enjoyed that. Great idea with the umbrellas.

Linda said...

Love your ideas for staying cool. Since we've only had one 90 degree day this year staying cool hasn't bee much of a problem.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

They look cool and make cool, great combination. And it holds up the mosquito net to your outdoor bed. Another cool idea. - Margy

Rita said...

Never heard of pergola before. You are so clever; really love the look of this; romantic yet gives you that most neede shade.
Rita

ain't for city gals said...

the only thing I can do is get up at 4:00 am so I can get my running in...it has been so hot lately...and with my dad we just really can't go anywhere..suppose to be 115° in Phoenix tomorrow ...ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I stay cool by staying inside and enjoying my new AC.

The Hobbit said...

I love that look,it seems most inviting. We are 45 min from the beach going East and 45 min West from the White mountains. When things are unbearable I just toss a coin and get in the car.