The state park was packed when we checked in - we weren't aware of the record low tides that were occurring. But we found out when there was a mass exodus of rigs at 5:00 AM leaving their campsites. Folks were there to go clamming for the famous Razor clams.
The group that was camping across from us looked like a real mixed bag of humanity. They had a full hookup site but were tent camping and had several vehicles. Multiple tents ringed the fire pit area and a big screened canopy was set up on the pavement where an RV would have been parked. There were adults and kids, all having a good time.
We met them by apologizing about Chucky - he growled at them and we realized he had never seen a child up close. The youngest in the group - a precocious little girl - adopted us as the camp she wanted to spend time at. She helped us socialize Chucky - they all helped us - a lot! They referred to their camp as the "Gypsy Camp". This trip has been a tradition for them - friends and kids camping and clamming.
They were such great neighbors to have. They invited us to go clamming with them - it had been many years since we dug clams. But we really needed that extra hour or two of sleep in the morning and reluctantly declined their kind offer.
They loaned us squirt guns that we used on Chucky when he became too incessantly vocal in the campground. The little girl was especially good at giving Chucky the business when he barked!
Thanks to email, we have stayed in touch. Some of them are going to be camping over our way later this month. We are hoping that we will be able to visit them for a few hours to catch up and to show them how much Chucky has grown in the last couple of months.
Have you made some good friends in unexpected places?
10 comments:
I don't know about the clams but that trout sure sounds good. What a great and interesting group of people to be camping next to. Just goes to show there are plenty of good people around.
I love razor clams. I've never been clam digging, let alone cleaned one. But I sure have eaten a few. Sounds like your camping neighbours turned out to be really good ones, even if they were a motley crew. -- Margy
Sure would like to try those clam fritters!
I met my good friend Jack at the Loners on Wheels campground in Deming,NM, 2 years ago. We have stayed in touch since, and he was at the same park I'm at now for a month earlier this summer. I've made lots of other volunteer friends too.
Sounds like a good time was had by all, even Chuckie!
Sounds like you ended up getting some pretty fine folks next to you. (and free dog training? What's not to love!)
Anyone that brings me food is a pal forever. Glad you're keeping in touch.
Campers are some of the coolest people. Glad to hear Chucky got some socialization and a good squirt.
Interesting to read about the clams. Since I've never been camping I would be in big trouble in that world, but the food looks wonderful. I hope you do get to spend some time with these new friends. The sound like good people to know.
That looks like it was a blast. I am not a clam fan but I never pass up trout if offered.
And you got free dog training for Chucky!
That sounded like a fun excursion! I have never heard of Razor clams; going to find out more about them.
Rita
I finally checked out your guys blog and got to see your spot about meeting us on the camping trip. A mixed bag of humaity, that is most definetly us. My son was laughing when he saw that. We ahd a great time meeting you and just loved Chucky. I am bummed I couldn't make it over to "the other side" this summer to camp and get the chance to visit you. Football was calling and takes precedence over everything else this time of year.
Post a Comment