
The Swallowtail caterpillars are getting bigger every day.

These two seem to be in a heated race to devour the leaf.

While others seem to prefer their own leaf to munch on.

As much as we are enjoying them, I am getting concerned about the health of the tree. These chubby green lumberjacks seem to be taking it down.
Sure do hope it survives all the dining going on...
The chrysalis stage better come soon!
6 comments:
They sure have a frightening visage. Good thing they aren't any bigger than that. Do they prefer one type of tree? - Margy
Those look kind of like hornworms, just not as fancy. I know what you mean about de-foliating a tree though. We have those darn tent caterpillars here-some years when they're really bad, they'll strip the leaves off the tree TWICE. It can kill the tree if that happens. At least your little munchers turn into something beautiful!
Have a great weekend!
:)
They prefer certain trees - aspen, cotton wood, wild cherry, willow and ash. Ours is a Marshall's Seedless ash tree.
For a minute I was concerned I had been smashing these for years. Not so, these do not have horns. I've smashed many a tomato worm that look like these, minus horn. I would never want to smash a swallow tail butterfly in any stage of life.
They sure are ungly things and they seem to be doing a job on that tree. Hope they don't kill it off.
They are yucky looking. Hope the tree will be OK.
Post a Comment