This is how they appear when they are "parked" on a leaf eating. I was able to identify them as being the caterpillar stage of the Tiger Swallowtail butterfly.
There are at least five and maybe more on the tree. The tree is in a big pot waiting to be planted. It has been suffering a bit in the heat and I have been keeping a close watch on it. It is a Marshall Seedless ash tree. It just so happens that ash trees are a favorite host tree for the swallowtail butterfly to lay eggs on. They also like aspen trees, so I guess I should go check out the aspen trees in the front yard for signs of activity.
I am so excited to have this opportunity to watch what happens next with the caterpillars. It will be interesting to see how long they take to form into the chrysalis (or pupa) stage. I am assuming that they will winter over since it is so late in the season. Time will tell...
For now we will just enjoy the wonder of Mother Nature. What has Mother Nature brought to you this summer?
6 comments:
Oh sure---you get Swallowtail caterpillars and I just get Tomato Hornworms. How do you rate???
:D
Tons of monarch butterfly caterpillars! :)
Mother Nature has brought us these huge wasps. They burrow underground. Scary.
How cool. When I was teaching we would capture caterpillars and watch them transform in a cage my father built for the classroom. The first graders loved to see the changes of nature, even though they lived in the inner-city. - Margy
Mosquitoes and lots of them. Great shots - the butterfly is beautiful.
You are a real pro with that camera; amazing!
Rita
Post a Comment