After that incident, I quit listening to the scanner. When Tramp 1 got home from work he told me there was a fast growing fire south of a town to the west. We headed to the airport and the Redmond Air Tanker base to watch the action. Planes were taking off and returning after just a 15 minute flight time with a 10 - 15 minute turnaround after refilling with the fire fighting retardant. There were three tankers and two helicopters working on the fire tonight from the airbase.
Living here in the high desert has trade offs - beautiful views, wonderful recreation and ever changing weather. It can be very challenging and learning to live with the threat of fire is a major concern. A couple weeks ago lightning started a fire down the road from us and we are the last house on a dead end road - fire could easily block us in. Last year a fire, also caused by lightning, started one hill over from us. These occurrences make us think about being ready to leave quickly if necessary. I need to pack a couple of emergency bags to grab should we ever need to evacuate. Tonight I asked Tramp 1 which vehicle I should take if I had to leave when he isn't home. He just kind of stared at me... I could tell he was thinking about his 1956 Chevy... His baby that he has had longer than me - and I have been around quite awhile... I told him I would take the big truck and camper - he reluctantly agreed! Then we took one last look out into the darkness where we could see the sky glowing from the growing fire and could see the dancing flames with our binoculars. We hope and pray that everyone is safe - those living near and those working so hard to fight the fire...
6 comments:
It must be scary living with the threat of wildfires. Last fall, Don and I wanted to see Crater Lake-we were coming up from California. Well, we changed plans-it was a smoky nightmare. The roads were open, so I'm assuming it would have been okay to continue-but I'm a big ol' scaredy cat when it comes to fires....things can change so quickly.
Glad all was okay with you.
OMG that is scary! We live in a National forest area and fire is always in the back of my mind when it gets to be hot dry summer but where you are it must be foremost in your mind every day! Stay safe my friends!
Wow, what an interesting post. It was good for me to read about these fires from someone who lives among them. Sometimes we take too lightly things that don't directly affect us. Thanks for writing this.
I guess we know then, if he was home and you weren't, that you would be sleeping under the stars in the bed of the Chevy, when you got to your meeting place. :) B.
Very scary to live that close to the fires. It is good to be prepared and to have a plan.
Great pictures!!
I can't imagine living so close to the hazard of fire but, I think, every area has its own hazards and we all should be ready for emergencies... will keep my fingers crossed for you...
Twitter: SolarChief
Post a Comment