Seems like we are just having way too many fires around here lately. The largest ones are over 30 miles from us but we are still getting the smoke. But now there is a new one just 3 miles away as the crow flies. It just started a bit ago - I saw the smoke from the kitchen window. Then I turned on the scanner and found out where it is. They are evacuating people as quickly as they can. I know that our great firefighting community will get a handle on the fire very rapidly. But it still leaves me feeling a bit unsettled. You just never know when it will be your turn to have to make the decision about what to take and what to leave behind.
What would you want to take if you had to suddenly evacuate your home due to wild fire?
6 comments:
Wow, Thats horrible! I will be sending positive thoughts your way!
By the time I made sure all of my living creatures were safely out I doubt if I would have any time to get anything else but if I did, I would definitely grab the stack of photo albums.
I will be praying that you never have to make those kind of decisions. Be safe.
-Leigh
I would grab Mr. Gates, Molliedog, my laptop and whatever cash I had on hand....maybe some food and clothes if I had time. Honestly if the fires were that close I think I would be packing the car just in case...I often wonder how people make it through disasters...would be hard. Take care......
Oh dear, I don't think I could handle living where you live. My husband would never close his eyes to sleep.
I live in Montana and a few years back the flames came over the mountain behind my house. We were close to leaving for 3 days, but luckily never had to. After that, I documented everything in our life that was important. All the banking info, retirement info, will info, credit cards, drivers licenses, insurances, 401K and stocks, SS info, etc, etc. Even took pics for ins. purposes. Copied all account numbers and info and made 2 copies, for 2 separate locations. Now all I have to worry about is animals, humans, pictures, and cash, if I have some!
I've had the disaster and, like Karen, made a list and pix of priority docs, etc... my pets, pix, laptop, and cash...
Thanks all, for your concern. Tramp 1 is out of town all week and it seems these things happen when he is gone... You think that one fire is enough but they keep coming. The one nearby is out and only made it to fifty acres - great job by the fire crews! But all is smoke here today from the others and I am finding ash floating down.
Post a Comment