Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Where we have been...

Yes, we took off - we had to hit the road over the weekend. Tramp 1 is a certified BBQ judge and he was judging for the last leg of a three leg competition in Bellingham Washington.

The event was hosted by The Market at Fairhaven, a neighborhood in Bellingham. There were eleven teams competing in the final event. Everyone had different rigs to cook on and ways to set up. Teams came from Canada, Oregon and Washington.













The judges were kept in a separate area away from the cooking - this is double blind judging and they take it seriously. And yes, it rained the first day.


These are the leftovers that Tramp 1 brought back to the motel after the first night of judging. The event was "Chefs Choice" and he got to taste a real variety of foods.
Of course, there were trophies and some $10,000 in prize money throughout the three leg event.

While Tramp 1 judged on Sunday - brisket, ribs, chicken and pork butt - I went shopping in the historic Fairhaven district. I love it there -Eclipse Books is a wonderful used book store that I could have stayed in for days...

And I also got to meet Captain Keith Colburn and his brother Monte of the Wizard from the Deadliest Catch TV show. I can add their autographs to the one I got from Captain Phil Harris before he passed away...

No pictures of all the BBQ meats because I was gone shopping too long and missed the turn in portion of the event ... sorry... As a judge, Tramp 1 gets to bring back all the foods he tastes and extra, too. We took the meats to his parent's home and chowed down with them and his brother. What a tasty feast it was!

3 comments:

Linda said...

That sounds like a wonderful week-end after a stressful week with the fires.

There's not many foods I put ahead of BBQ. BBQ'd brisquit is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

What a fun job. Love BBQ!!

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Looks like you had a fun, tasty trip. Sorry we couldn't get together. We just got back from Powell River today with Mom and cat in tow. It would have been fun to meet. I love Eclipse Bookstore as well. I always find great books to read. My blogging friend Betty (Mud Creek Mama)here in Bellingham go when we get together for coffee in Fairhaven. - Margy