Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Saturday, December 17, 2011

Poor Chucky Dog....

No, he didn't chew up a slipper or munch on a Christmas ornament... Poor Chucky is in lockup due to an injury. It happened a week ago Wednesday so you know that by now this active dog is not too happy about his confinement. This wire crate is wonderful - it is four feet long so Chucky has ample room to stretch out.

What happened? Well, I had picked him up from the kennel where he stayed during a quick trip we took to NW Washington. When we got home he ran all over the place checking everything out and settled down with a good rawhide to chew. Later in the day he wanted to play ball - he is ball addicted and we only let him have a ball when we are with him. We went up to the road and I was throwing the ball out across the vacant land across from us - juniper trees, sage and bunch grass. Chucky loves the hunt to find that ball. On about the tenth hunt he came running back with his ball when he dropped and just started screaming as only a hurt dog can. I ran over to him and checked his foot - nothing there. I managed to get him across the road to the top of our drive and told him to stay. I ran to the house and got my rig and backed up to him and loaded him into his travel crate that I keep in the back all the time. I went in the house and called the vet - he was just headed out for a horse emergency but said he would wait. It was 4:30 when I rushed into town. The vet checked Chucky out and it wasn't anything in his foot but maybe a tendon in his leg. He gave him a steroid injection and sent me home with pills for him and said to keep him confined. The steroid injection gave him the trots and the pills gave him a terrible thirst along with needing to pee every couple of hours. He had to have more medication for the trots. So we were both confined...

On Tuesday Chucky went in for x-rays of his shoulder and the news was good - no broken bones. But he is still limping on three legs a lot of the time and he still has to be confined for several weeks and it could take months before he is totally healed.

Last year at the this time I had Tramp 1 recuperating from back surgery. This year I was really looking forward to getting out and about more to celebrate the holidays. But now I have Chucky to tend to. I have taken him to town with me a couple of times. But getting him out of the rig when we get home has it drawbacks and twice he has fallen and I am afraid of injuring him somewhere else! So for now he will stay home when I go to to town. Through it all he has been such a sweet boy - we sure do love him!

11 comments:

Tina said...

Awe..how sad for him. Our pets are part of our family like that too. My son's bassett was pretty sick once and needed 24 hr care..IV fluids every 2 hours, so we took shifts.
I sure hope he gets to feeling better soon...he sure is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Poor guy. I hope he feels better soon.

Muffy's Marks said...

Its always something. Poor puppy, I hope he heals fast for both of your sakes.

Sue said...

Oh, doggie prison! Poor Chucky!!
Hope he mends FAST!

Debbie said...

Oh poor Chuck! And I feel your pain about the whole dog on steroids. Max has to take steroids for the rest of his life. And that means he is making me crazy wanting to go out.

Rubye Jack said...

God, that must have scared you to death when he fell down. I'm sorry he's hurting so, poor Chucky.

Rita said...

I remember last year reading about Tramp 1 and his back surgery. Life seems to throw us curve balls.
Merry Christmas to you and to your family.
Rita

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

That's not good. Chuckie probably wants to be active, not confined. Not easy for you for sure. - Margy

Rae said...

So sorry to hear about Chucky. I hope it's nothing serious. He really is a sweet boy!

Sue said...

Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

Our bigger dog had to have a ramp to get out of our pickup truck(the front even) because he was so big we were afraid he would hurt something coming out so hard because of his weight....he had limped after just jumping out one time and from then on we used a ramp(homemade). Gave us piece of mind and saved vet bills I am sure. B.