Okay - its not what you are thinking... We have had a couple of days during the past week with rain - not mist, but drenching sluicing rain. Of course that has delayed my time working in the garden. So I went on to other needy areas of our life - and there are many!!

Cleaning cupboards is not my idea of fun. But organizing the spice cupboard is probably the best choice if you have to clean cupboards. I like to organize the spices by types of cooking - spices for baking in one area, savory spices in another.

Because we enjoy cooking and do it a lot, we have a lot of different spices and seasonings. In the front on the left you see Aromat by Knorr. Aromat is a seasoning mix that will amp up the flavor of a dish that is lacking that little bit of something. We had it for the first time in Switzerland years ago and brought a lot back with us. When if finally ran out, I found it in a larger size in a shop in North Vancouver, B.C. - just a bit closer than Switzerland! It is also found in some grocery stores or specialty shops.
Another go to seasoning mix for us is Morton's Nature's Season Blend. I can actually remember the first time I ever tasted it. Tramp 1 and I were dating and were going camping. He brought some things from home - one was the Nature's Season which we put on chicken cooked over a fire. From that day forward I have used it as my main seasoning in the kitchen.
Goya Adobo Seasoning with Cumin is the newest spice in the cabinet. I am in love with cumin. I use it wherever I can. Ground cumin is an important spice in the layering of flavors in the various BBQ rubs we make. Sprinkle a little cumin on steamed carrots - it will make you want your vegetables!
What about you - what is your favorite seasoning mix or spice in your kitchen?
6 comments:
I love the way you organized your spices. Last year I had some of my cupboards re done; where I couldn't reach stuff. I now have a couple of pull out drawers that are proving to be the best thing ever. I discovered Harissa that I I use a lot that is kept in the fridge, Emeril's essence and Old Bay are used a lot...and so many jars etc. Love cooking.
Rita
Well, I just had my big "duh" moment of the day. Makes perfect sense to organize spices by cooking "project". I did mine alphabetically. Not so sensible.
Great idea---I'll be spending the next rainy day trying that!
My shelves could use a good cleaning. Want to come over? Just kidding. My favourite spice is a homemade one I call Margy's Mix. It's a mixture that I make from the fresh herbs in my garden, mostly parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and lemon basil. It works good in soups and stews. - Margy
I'm so glad that I'm not the only person who has an entire cabinet devoted to spices! But a favorite? I have to choose??? That's unfair! For sweet things I love cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. For savory I'm right with you on cumin. I also discovered a Tuscan blend while we were in Annapolis that is wonderful. We're almost out so I'm going to have to read the label and see if I can duplicate the blend.
Judy
It is clear a lot of cooking goes on around your house. In our house you'll find little cooking, and few spices. How about salt, pepper, and lemon pepper? We're boring.
Yeah salt pepper garlic powder onion pwder and parsley thats about it LOL
Post a Comment