Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Improvising -

Last week when I mashed/cut my right index finger while chopping firewood, Tramp 1 had just started back to work. He had lunch planned with an old friend. I just could not ask him to come all the way home to take care of me. So I had to bandage the wound and improvise some way to avoid finger movement in a way that I would still be able to accomplish a few things around here.

So I took a popsicle stick and put it under my finger inside this glove for support. While the stick keeps my finger from bending, the glove helps to remind me to be careful of my injury.


To be able to shower I wrap the finger with press and seal plastic wrap and then put this glove on, holding it in place with a rubber band. It works good enough - beats not being able to clean up!

On Sunday night I changed the dressing for the first time and of course Tramp 1 wanted to see what the cut looked like. He was rather surprised by the size of it and admitted that maybe I could have used a few stitches to hold it together.

As for chopping wood - I have been able to get back out there and keep at it. Yes, I am a bit more deliberate with my movements and I am wearing a very thick pair of gloves.

17 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Reminds me of the old saying that "Necessity is the mother of invention!"

SharleneT said...

I'm sure I don't need to tell you to focus on the task at hand... excellent way of protecting the finger and one that was used often back in the day... Are you soaking it at night? To keep infection out? Just askin'... not pushin'... come visit when you can...


Just posted on my other blog, Rockin' Chair Reflections, Are Bullies Any Different From Gossips? http://bit.ly/hWLEiN

DianeLynn said...

Smart woman you are. I kind of done that too. It always seems to happen when you are alone eh?
Take care and I wanna see the damage...take a pic! :)

Rita said...

You're good! Take good care and keep is clean. Why don't you take a break from chopping wood?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear your finger is doing better. I think the splint was a good idea,try to be careful,and don't get hurt again. Blessings Jane

Rae said...

Very creative, but too scary thinking of what could have happened while you were out there chopping all alone.

Sue said...

What a clever idea wrapping it up like that. You probably saved yourself a couple hundred dollars too. But oh my, it could have been worse. I'm glad you're okay!

Julie said...

Oh, man...sorry to hear about your accident! Glad it is healing well...I hope! Sounds like you are taking very good care of it.

Tracy said...

I hope you are healing okay...with no infection. Do take it easy!

ain't for city gals said...

vicki,,they were really bad !lol..kind of laugh about it now but girl I feel for you...best thing read The Wisdom of Menopause..by Dr. Christine Northrup...something like that..you can get it on e-bay cheap...get the newest version.

Mary said...

Ouch ouch ouch! Great job doctoring though. :)

Margaret said...

Oh man...I can only imagine the pain....and good job on taking care of it.

Mary said...

Hope you're doing well. :)

HermitJim said...

Looks like you make a pretty good wilderness doctor!

I think you did a good job of your treatment and on the shower wrap!

Hope it heals well for ya!

Janice Grinyer said...

jiminy crickters you took a blow - but that is a good set up you got there for being able to still function and keep it clean...and hey, I know I have used superglu in the past for clean cuts... vets use it all the time for those areas that cant be stitched up like between a pups toes etc. so i figured why not...its good emergency stuff for in the woods..although i have superglued things that i didnt want to... like when it dripped on my jeans and they got stuck to my leg and tht wasnt fun...you get the idea!! lol

Carol............. said...

OUCH!

Mary said...

thinking about ya, hope you're back soon!