Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Saturday, October 9, 2010

Not even for a wienie...

Friday morning a friend called. She was at work and had a favor to ask. She and her husband have sled dogs - twelve of them. They have a camera system that allows them to monitor the dogs and their activities while they are at work.

It seems that she left for work in the dark and when she checked the cameras after daylight, she saw that when she had put one of the young girls outside on her lead after a night in the house, she had inadvertently left her "diaper" on. Yup, she is the one dog that is in heat and was wearing the diaper while in the house. My friend asked if I could possibly go over to their place and get the diaper off. She said the dog would do anything for a wienie...

But that isn't true - not even for an Oscar Mayer cheese filled wienie... I sure tried - and it is a bit intimidating to have all those dogs staked out on their chains barking up a storm. That is probably one reason why it didn't work. The poor dog is mega shy as it is and with all those other dogs talking to her about who knows what, she just couldn't let her guard down enough to come out of her spool - yes, the dogs each have one of those big spools that electric cable comes on for their house.

So I ended up leaving their place in defeat. And leaving that poor shy dog with a diaper full...

8 comments:

Sharlene T. said...

It's so easy to ask someone to go take care of a dog's needs, without realizing that once the owner is not at home, the dog becomes a GUARD dog and isn't nearly as friendly. I would find a string of dogs nerve-wracking because I've seen a dog break a chain when highly excited... Can only imagine the bounty found at the end of the day in the diaper... Wonder if dogs can hold it in?... But, you did do your good deed and that's what counts... I think you were very brave... come visit when you can... Oh, BTW, love the new look...

Linda said...

You deserve an award for even attempting that one.

HermitJim said...

Sorry, but I couldn't help but grin when I read this post! The mental image I got was a real hoot!

I know it wasn't fun, but still...you tried!

DianeLynn said...

Great story...and I am still smiling about it. Made my day it did!

Anonymous said...

You get an A for effort.

Carol............. said...

OOOOhhhh...got a real mental picture there! LOL

Janice Grinyer said...

ah, what friends will do for friends.

If you were at a fancy dinner party, I don't necessarily think it would be in your best interest to repeat this adventure...esp. if they are serving those little cocktail appetizer weinies.

Although you probably would be fine...up until the "diaper full" part...

and when did you realize that your girlfriend has this adventure on a camera ~ has she sent you a letter threatening You-tube yet ? :D

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

I remember we had a pad for our dachshund when I was a kid. It sure kept the mess down. Then we had our second dog spayed so there wasn't the need. That sure must have been an experience. I know I wouldn't have liked all those big barking dogs straining to get to me. - Margy