
It is hard to fathom the deep-seated ire that something so simple as a phillips head screwdriver can unleash in me. Tramp 1 just came up to the house from the shop - you know, the great big building that houses all his tools and such - and tried to sneak out of here with my screwdriver! And I finally put my foot down very firmly and made it clear that my tools - my new tools - do not leave this house! He tried to work me with "I don't want to have to go out to the truck for my tools" but I would not listen. Then he said that his tools were in boxes that he was sorting to clean the shop - but I didn't buy that one either. My tools stay here!
When we were first married my dear old dad gave me a new set of screwdrivers he had up in his closet. It was part of his stash of oddities that I think he won on the pull tabs at the Elk's club. I was a very proud bride with my orange handled tools. I got myself a little plastic tool box and kept it in a kitchen drawer. And slowly it began to fill up with all matter of junk and slowly my screwdrivers began to disappear. Mind you, Tramp 1 came into our marriage with his own assortment of tools. He had been working on cars for many years and had all kinds of screwdrivers. But he still took mine - and he didn't return them. Every so often I would go through all his tools and take back mine, but after awhile my tools were either missing or not worth taking back anymore in the sorry shape he left them. Needless to say, I was frustrated. So I bought myself another set of screwdrivers. They were a really nice dark gray set with soft finned handles that gripped well and had magnetic tips. I really liked them and they helped me with my various projects. But they, too, went on the lamb to be seen no more - at least most of them were gone - all but the one that was about two inches long and had a blade bigger than a pencil! I haven't ever taken his tools and kept them, lost them or damaged them... (Not knowingly... but accidents do happen...)
So what about it? Was I too mean not to share? What would you have done? Smiled sweetly as he took off with a phillips head that you knew would come back with a stripped tip? Or would you stand your ground and defend your tools? Your brand new tools...
13 comments:
You go girl, stand up for those tools and chase him down. I found my pink handled plyers in my son's truck and the big ox tried to tell me it was his.
Men,
☻Pacy
I had a mismatched set of tools for the house at one time, and they also "mysteriously" disappeared over the years. Now, my knives are starting to go missing to!! Perhaps they are an adequate substitute for a flathead screwdriver???????????
I spit coffee all over my T-shirt while reading your post. But it was worth it!!! Then I read it to a certain man whom I refer to as Sweetie. And then I asked him if I should post a reply.
He said, "Please don't tell her about chasing me with the screwdriver!"
I too had my own toolbox with everything I needed for little jobs around the house. I'd maintained it for all the years I raised my kids - and then he ruined, misplaced or lost nearly everything in it!!!
And he has the nerve to tell ME to leave his tools alone when I move them off the food storage shelves or the chair or the sofa or the kitchen table and place them by the front door - in a box so he might get the idea to take them outside and put them away.
You go girl. Give him hell!
I love tools but don't have any of my own. I do "borrow" our collective tools when needed, but I have a bad habit of not returning them to the correct place when done. Yes, I'm guilty of leaving them on the shelf, sink, or even sofa and Wayne has to hunt them down. But he is fairly good natured about it and only "gently" reminds me about the importance of tool care. Maybe we have a bit of role reversal thing going. - Margy
I don't understand why when I want a phillips I can only find 30 straght ones and if I want a straight one all I can find is phillips. I think it is a plot to get on my nerves.
♥♥ Hugs ♥♥
wonderful ^^!
Oh my...what a great post. My husband and I go areound and around with this one but our problem is the BROOM AND DUSTPAN!!! Is it just too much to ask to put it back where it belongs??..lol. Finally, I bought my very own and one of those little holders for the wall. I swore if that BROOM AND DUSTPAN was not there each and every time I went to use it I would never clean the house again!! It has been several years now and it has always been there...lol...sometimes with a cute little heart or note from husband saying cute little things that make my heart happy!..Looking forward to reading all of your past and future posts...
Most of my tools are 'confiscated' from Hubby and sons who almost never put theirs away and then lose them and go get new ones. I figured if I just grab what I want and stash it-- they'll have to go find some of their other ones. ;) I got a hammer, a few screwdrivers, some wire cutters, scrapers and I keep my favorite paint brushes out of any man's hands. ;)
girly girl, i put my NAME on my tools...then i give him "the eye" as i recover my fav tools.
lovingly stand your ground! LOL.
My goodness, this post sure brought forth an issue! And to think Tramp 1 was a bit hesitant about my posting about his tool theft! Sounds like he has plenty of company out there! Thank you all for sharing - I sure do feel better! Tramp #2
A friend of mine said that her sons were always taking her tools, especially the screw drivers!
She went down and got a can of hot pink spray paint...painted all her tools pink, and hasn't had one go missing since!
Guess young guys don't like pink tools!
Fun post!
No, no, no...you stand your ground!!! Big Daddy is allllways taking my meager little stash of tools and then forgetting where he put them!!! First my screwdrivers, then my favourite orange tape measure!! Where does the insanity end? LOL
I know exactly what you mean. When I needed a tool I couldn't find them in the garage or get to them because they were in the back of my husband's car. I decided to clean out a cupboard in the laundry room and organize it with all the various tools I use. I went out and bought the ones I needed and once I did all the work and got everything organized, he found them. Now I am hunting down tools again.
Post a Comment