Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Last hornworm post...

Okay, I know I am over the edge with all these hornworm posts.  So this will be my last one.  But I will still be searching for them every day and at night before I go to bed.  They are amazing!!


 
This is the tiny little egg attached to a tomato leaf.
 

 
This little guy is just coming out of the egg case.  This happened about a week after the egg was deposited on the tomato leaf.
 

 
This chewed up leaf is what tells you to look on the underside.  That way you can get the hornworm before it grows more and really munches your plant!  You can see the light green hornworm on the spine of the leaf.
 

 
This is a hornworm at night, found with a black light flashlight.  Wow, does that flashlight ever help.  Much easier to find them in the dark than in the daylight.
 
And so ends the saga of the tomato hornworm - I will say no more....
 
 



2 comments:

Sue said...

Our hornworms are behind schedule. I just found my very first one, and it was at that tiny stage. I saw a chewed leaf and flipped it over and there he was!
Easier looking for those chewed leaves, isn't it?
Have fun in the dark!

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Fortunately I haven't seen any on my tomatoes, but the aphids are going crazy for my kale. Summer up the lake has been great, but it sure has cut into my Internet time. - Margy