Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Monday, August 17, 2015

Creature of the night....

Going outside at night has gotten to be way more fun now that I have a new flashlight.  It is a black light flashlight and wow, does it ever make things look strange! 


 
Yep, this a scorpion.  They glow the most brilliant green when the black light shines on them.  I have been seeing way more of them than I realized were out and about at night. 
 
When we first moved here and built our shop, they were everywhere.  I would find them in all the boxes of things we had stored in the garage.  Our dog at the time, a basset hound named Angus, had a bad reaction to a sting.  We always keep liquid Benadryl on hand in our pet emergency supplies now.
 
Last week I was in the shop after dark closing a window in the bathroom when I looked down and there was a scorpion in front of me.  Chucky dog was right behind me and I didn't want him to see it.  So I grabbed what was close - a spray can of scrubbing bubbles type cleaner and blasted the critter.  It stopped him dead in his tracks with his tail curled up high.  I used a big wad of toilet tissue to clean him up and tossed him into the trash.  No going  barefoot around here at night!!!
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Sue said...

Good grief--I would not like to see one of those!
But--on a sidenote-it does look really cool under the light.

1st Man said...

OMG OMG!!!! I've been wanting a blacklight flashlight for that very thing. Do you mind if I ask where you found the flashlight? I'm guessing maybe Amazon....I am so going to do that. Thanks!

Anke said...

Yuck, yuck, yuck... Reminds me when I came to the States for the very first time to meet my in laws - waaaay back in 89. I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and saw a "bug" crawling in the hallway. First I considered stepping on it, but reconsidered because I wasn't wearing shoes. Good thing, too - it turned out to be a scorpion. Freaked me out! Needless to say I didn't walk around barefoot after that anymore...