Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” - John Ruskin
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” - John Ruskin
Thursday, May 30, 2013
True Confessions - of the garden variety....
I went tomato crazy - I could not stop myself - I am an addict!! Is there any hope for this affliction?? At the end of last season I decided to cut back on the plants that required extra care - like my upside down tomatoes that tend to dry out too quickly in the hottest months. But looking at those empty buckets waving in the breeze gave me an idea to rectify the problem. Since the plants grow below the buckets, I will cover the top of them with shade cloth. (Pictures to come at planting time) Since they are hanging in a spare dog kennel, I might even wrap the upper portion of the kennel to shade the pots but not the plants. I should wrap the whole thing in bird netting to keep the moths out that lays the eggs that become horn worms. We had a really large crop of those last year!! They are voracious and can devastate a crop rapidly.
These tomato plants are temporarily heeled into a raised bed that is easy to cover due to the frost we have had the past week. They were small when I got them and I transplanted them into larger containers several weeks ago. I won't buy them so early next year... But they were so lush and pretty, calling out to me... I stupidly listened to their pleas to me to take them home.
Because I have gone crazy with tomatoes, our biggest raised bed where we plant them will be crowded this year. It will contain three Stupice and three Juliet tomatoes - all indeterminate plants that I know are able to produce into the cold of early fall. Three patio tomatoes (why did I buy these??!!) will go into large black pots that had peppers in them last year.
Over the weekend we picked up a Mr. Stripey because a dear friend thinks they are wonderful - but I have read otherwise... We also got a Sungold after hearing that it is tops for taste. As I watched folks filling their carts with large tomato plants, I started to worry about being able to get a six pack of small tomato plants to use for the upside down buckets and grabbed the only good looking one left - Manitoba. After we got home, Tramp 1 told me that we didn't care for that one much when we grew it in the past... Now we will have six of them! But it is determinate and that means that there won't be a prolonged harvest to worry about and it is also perfect for our sporadic growing season and weather.
Add it all up and we have seventeen tomato plants. Addicted, truly addicted!!
So what type of tomatoes are gracing your garden this season?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Our weather turned wintery again, so no tomatoes yet.. but if it warms up, maybe some cherry tomatoes. We've never had much of a crop in our cool, grey part of the world. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)
Since I will be at the cabin more this summer, I bought two tomato plants. One is a beefsteak because that was my father's favourite. The other is called a Super Fantastic (sounded good, but I don't know anything about it). I was hoping for an Early Girl, but they didn't have any. - Margy
I'm a tomato junkie too. This year I planted 18 of them, which could be considered way too many for two people. However, most years it gets so hot that we get piddling harvests, so 18 is just about right. Our best producers are always Early Girl and Sungold, but every year I add in whatever else looks good at the garden center. This year my hopes are set on a variety called Mr. Stripy coming through -- how can you not want to hold a tomato that has such a cute name? Way too cute to eat -- I'll just talk baby talk to it...
My Mortgage Lifter is still producing since last fall!!! Strange! We absolutely loved Mr. Stripy a few years ago when my grandson picked one out at Home Depot! Sweet and delicious. I think you will enjoy it! Good luck with your strange, yet devinely wonderful addiction!!!
We need to trade seeds some time. :)
I actually have no food in my garden. (cept herbs) not sure I'll resist all summer--but so far that's where I am at this year. Your blog is always so lovely, don't know why I don't visit blog friends a lot more.
Post a Comment