Look very closely along the rim of the pot, down from the mama dove's face. You can see the little baby dove peeking out from under her. She had been feeding the baby.
We found this poor little fellow on the ground under the basket she was nesting in. I don't know how she felt about it but I was devastated.
When we checked the nest, it was empty. Then we discovered this little baby back behind a pot, also below the nest basket.
We don't know what happened - whether she was attacked by some other bird or if the babies simply fell out of the nest. It has been raining the better part of the day and she was sheltered under the eve of the house. We were just talking this morning about what a good place she picked to nest. Maybe she will be back to try again. I miss her soft stare through the window...
Death in the high desert seems to be the theme this season. We found these two dead little bunnies last month. The third one was partially eaten. We think a cat probably got them. Life can be very harsh...
6 comments:
I'm very sad about both the doves and the bunnies. Sometimes nature is very cruel.
Awww.. sorry the dove family make it.. makes you wonder if something happened to the mom and those two got too cold and hungry? We live on a farm and have had our share of losses. :-( T
Oh, I'm sorry the dove babies didn't make it. Perhaps the parents were first-timers and didn't have it all together yet. The season is young -- hopefully, they'll give it another try.
Seemed like such a great spot!
Well, hopefully next time things will go better for her.
Oh, I'm sorry that is sad. I had a dove come back two years in a row to nest in the same hanging basket. One year there were no babies (or none that I saw) and another year, she raised two. Hope she comes back next time. Nature is cruel sometimes huh?
It's hard to see critters thriving one day, and gone the next. One year our Barn Swallow chicks fell from the nest (all 5 of them). We aren't sure why, but the second brood of three grew up to fledge. - Margy
Post a Comment