Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Yard Art and Deer...



 
This golden bird is a new addition to our pond area.  When I saw him, I just knew we had to have him here!  He is not any normal kind of bird - just a funky fellow who sparkles brightly in the morning sun.
 
 


The deer were not at all concerned about his sudden appearance at the pond.


 
In fact, the deer are really too comfortable around here!
 


I just rebuilt this feeder after it had fallen apart from being assaulted by many deer tongues in the past years.  This time we wised up and ran a very tall piece of heavy duty horse fence around the feeder.  The birds feel safe as hawks would have trouble diving in and out quickly and the deer can't get to the feeder anymore.  We have missed the birds and have several feeders back up again.  We don't get a huge variety of birds here but the ones we do get (and keep by feeding) should be very helpful with bugs in the garden this coming spring.

5 comments:

Travels with Emma said...

Wow. That is a lot of deer!

1st Man said...

That is awesome and your pond is just beautiful. I'm jealous! NIce addition and the deer are neat to see.

Mama Pea said...

What a beautiful setting . . . especially with the herd (hordes!) of deer!

Monsoon Matriarch said...

Ditto on the beautiful yard and all the yard art, including the live ones! Nice to see attractive yard art, like your new heron. At first, I thought it was alive, too!

I just love seeing the deer -- we love them, but our yard looks like Stalag 17 with all the fencing around fruit trees. We understand how they can inflict their gentle damage, so we leave a few plants to fend for themselves once they are big enough. My curly willow is a deer favorite and has been browsed to a beautiful urn shape by visiting 4-legged arborists.

Mary said...

Love it all. The cage around the bird feeder speaks volumes. :)