Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hot July - it had to happen...

After a challenging spring with too many dips into the low 30's at night, summer is here.  It has a been a very quick warm up after such a cool June.  Keeping things watered has become a daily task.  While we have most plantings on a drip system, there are still some new things waiting for lines to be run to them and some plants that are in smaller containers needing extra care.  And because we love plants, there are always those new plants we just had to have that are waiting to get planted.


The swallowtail butterflies just keep coming to visit.  They are here every day.  This one is dropping in to lay eggs on the Marshall Seedless ash tree.


This picture shows the small pearl like eggs, the little black larvae that develops from the eggs and the ever growing caterpillar that the larvae grows into.


When we first moved here I just had to have a toad house.  We had little frogs or toads all over the place.  I thought they would really appreciate their own abode.


But the frogs never moved into their house.  Now a very smart lizard has taken up residence.  It makes a very safe home and provides good shelter from weather and predators.

We are so fortunate to have so many different critters around here to enjoy.  Chucky enjoys them, too - he loves to try to catch the incredibly fast lizards.  At the end of his chase, all that is left is a cloud of dust - the lizard always escapes the antics of Chucky.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Love this post. It's obvious there's a lot of activity going on at your place. Chucky, you get 'em boy.

Sue said...

What a beautiful toad abode--I've never seen one that pretty.
I set up spots for toads to hide in but all I end up with is spiders in there.......
:(

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Guess you'll have to call it a lizard lair now. - Margy

Anke said...

That is such a pretty little toad house. We've got toads and lizards here, so maybe I should look into getting one. The one you have is the prettiest one I've ever seen!