Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Saturday, September 24, 2011

Back from camp...

The seasonal vacation - I guess... Yes, we are back from a week in elk camp. I have to say I am glad to be back to indoor plumbing and electricity. Oh, and television! And no elk - maybe next year.

I must say that elk camp can be very relaxing. Very little to clean or cook - how much can you have in an ice chest?!
Lots of time to read - I polished off "Back of Beyond" by C.J. Box in short order and moved on to several other books.

Tomato soup and a toasted cheese sandwich - my favorite elk camp breakfast - I managed to enjoy it at least one time while at the cabin.

The elk were not into the full rut when we were there. But they were vocal and bugling sounded all around us.

It was unseasonably warm for the time of year. That has the bulls coming into the meadow by the cabin to do a little wallowing. A bull will come in and dig in the grass and water with his antlers and hooves to create a muddy hole. Then he will plop down into the mess he made and wallow about, coating himself with the mud.

I got a video from the porch of the cabin one evening when a bull came in and decided he wanted to take bath. He soaked for a good 15 minutes once he settled in. Please excuse the shaky quality - I forgot to pack a tripod...



While we were away at elk camp, Chucky stayed at the kennel. He had a great time and is still tired from playing with the other dogs. They said that Chucky wanted them to open all the cages and let all the dogs out to play - he would stop at each cage and try to open the latch! Not happening though - they pick dogs by age and temperament to group up when it is play time. Maybe Chucky will be mature enough next year and will be able to go to elk camp, too.

About my posting issues - I think it is my lap top that has the problems. This one is working just fine. Looks like it is time for a check up!

9 comments:

Travels with Emma said...

What fun watching the elk prance around!

ain't for city gals said...

Isn't it just kind of nice to get away from cooking and cleaning for a week...makes me wonder why we do it and the rv lifestyle fulltime more appealing. I hate to admit this but my fav camping food is Dinte Moore stew...isn't that just gross??lol...I always have it at least once...

Gorges Smythe said...

Sounds like you had aa good time, even without an elk. Incidentally, afcg, I like ol' Dinty meself!

JoJo said...

Thank you for sharing your Elk video.

Sue said...

I think having a rack must be kind of a pain, don't you think? Can't really get a good roll in the mud.
How neat to be able to see things like this. The closest thing to anything like this that I have is watching the deer eat my flowers!
:D

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Powell River participated in an elk relocation project to rebuild the population after hunting took it down to none. Of course, there are some people who aren't happy with the progress, especially around the golf course where they like to come and graze. - Margy

Rita said...

I really enjoyed this; thank you sharing. Not everyone can get to see this wild life in action; he seems to be having a ball.
Rita

Mary said...

chuckled at the thought of Chucky trying to let out his friends. :) It is nice to get away from it all sometimes. After a year in this cabin, I'm kind of looking forward to more neighbors and chores, but I'm glad we had this year. ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a movie....Chucky going to each pen door to try to open it....he is such a social butterfly. B.