Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Monday, October 3, 2011

Wind, rain and sleeping outside...

Last weekend we were away from home for a day. We got back after dark and found that a freak wind had come through. After turning on the outside lights, we found that the BBQ area awning had been bent and torn. Some potted plants had been flipped over, too.







And one of the umbrellas that shade our deck was damaged. It had to be a very strong wind - we really had that thing tied town well!

We are still sleeping outside - crazy, eh? We did move the bed to an alcove so we are out of the rain that started last night. And we switched from sheets and blankets to sleeping bags with fleece liners. And I am wearing wood socks to bed...

The noises at night get pretty interesting outside. The coyotes have been going off every night in large groups. Early this morning I heard a deer right up near the deck and sent Tramp 1 flying from his sleeping bag to make sure it didn't eat my fuchsias! (He was on the outside - I would have had to climb over him...) The other night I think Tramp 1 called an owl in with his snoring. I could hear it calling and coming closer and closer, from tree to tree searching.

How long should we stay sleeping outside? I am about ready to head back indoors. The snow level in the mountains is dropping and so are the temperatures at night here. Next thing you know, I will be wearing a hat and mittens to bed, too!

12 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I'll bet it's been an enjoyable experience, though!

Sue said...

I think it would be neat to see how long you manage to stay sleeping outside.
My German mother used to keep her bedroom windows open all winter long. Sounds silly, but you really DO sleep better in the cold!

Travels with Emma said...

The snoring calling in an owl gave me a real chuckle! :)

Anke said...

I love it when the nights get cooler! We don't sleep outside, but we do sleep with the windows open. Must be a German thing, we've done it as long as I can remember. (Sue, my Mom in Germany sleeps with the window open all year long, too.)

murphyfish said...

I do envy your slumber outside of the walls.
John

Mama Pea said...

I think sleeping outside must be super-healthy for you. Especially if you have a warm body to cuddle with! I've slept indoors with a stocking cap on so no reason you should feel weird wearing one while sleeping outside. ;o]

Rita said...

You are living some kind of experience; hope it not as cold as in this corner; we have frost at night.
Rita

Rubye Jack said...

I would so love to be able to sleep outside. For some reason, now that the weather is cooling off we have everything walking around in the woods/yards here. The latest is some little foxes--they make the funniest noises. I need to put up a web cam outside.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a lot of fun, but it might be time to go inside.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Go inside and open a window to let the air and night sounds in then bundle up under a down comforter. That's what we'll be doing at the cabin. And of course, the wood stove will be going if it gets cold. We repainted the surface of the wood stove before we left. It was getting pretty rusty from all the water we boil on top day and night. It keeps the moisture in the air and gives us water for washing. - Margy

Fran said...

What an adventure to be able to sleep outside. Doesn't it get damp in the morning? I am not sure that my neighbours are strong enough for the sight of me in the morning!!!! xxx

The Hobbit said...

I grew up in New England in a 250 year old saltbox house.Kitchen was added on in the 1930 and that is where the one and only source of heat was.My dad would warm up stones and put them in a wool bag and run them up and down our feather mattress before we jumped into bed.Today we have heat in our home but, I am notorious in keeping the temp pretty low.Not uncommon to be watching tv with a wool hat and blanket.Before going to bed I pop a corn cozy in the microwave and like my father I run it up and down my sheets then place it at my feet. Sleep like a baby all night long.I wish I could talk my husband into sleeping outside but, he grew up in a tenement in one of N.H. larger city and it was hard enough to get him to live on a street with no lights I don't want to push my luck.Kudos to you