Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Friday, July 8, 2011

A Family Milestone...

Where does time go?? Surely stolen by lack of sleep and too much to do around here! But we are always gone, it seems. And the holiday weekend was no exception - sure do wish it would have been a longer weekend - we could have used an extra day. We traveled over 800 miles round trip with the camper, a trailer full of gear and the yellow dog. For what you ask? For Pork Fest!!

This month is Tramp 1's Dad's 90th birthday and we all got together to celebrate - over 50 of us total. What better way to celebrate than with a BBQ competition. Just a friendly rib cook off between family and friends. Four guys smoked ribs in their ugly drum smokers. Tramp 1 was one of them and it was his first time to use his new drum. Friends from Canada who are head BBQ judges came and had the family do the judging. And Tramp 1 won!!


The ugly drum smoker (UDS).


The winning ribs!


A very surprised and happy Tramp 1.


The birthday boy - looking good!


The party was very much a family reunion with many cousins and others getting to visit after many years of not seeing each other. There were some tears shed but they were happy tears.


It was a long and tiring trip home after all the excitement. On the way, I phoned in to check with the court because I am on jury duty for the next two months. Wouldn't you know it - I got called and had to report the very next morning. But I wasn't alone - the courtroom was full of prospective jurors - it was a murder trial. After spending the whole day there, I did not make the final cut - good thing as Chucky would be alone too much.


And speaking of Chucky - last night Tramp 1 had to take him to the emergency Vet in town. He had something in his ear and was in pain. Yep, it was a piece of cheat grass - nasty stuff. They had to sedate him to get it out. It was 11:00 PM when a groggy Chucky and Tramp 1 made it back home again. I am scared to let Chucky out of my sight now. And you can bet that we will be out this weekend whacking down weeds in areas that Chucky might explore. It is all out war!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Chucky!! I hope he is going to be OK. Those ribs look so good and Tramp 1's dad looks great for 90.

Sue said...

You guys have way too much fun! That food looks divine and congrats to Tramp 1!!!

Poor Chucky-but I have to ask-what is Cheat Grass? I'm not familiar with that. Hope he recuperates quickly!

ain't for city gals said...

You two are busy, busy, busy! Is cheat grass like a fox tail?

SharleneT said...

Wow! He does look good for 90! Must be all the happy around him... It's wonderful when you can all get together; isn't it! Thanks for sharing. Come visit when you can.

SharleneT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DianeLynn said...

WOW you had a great time w/family...and so thankful Chucky is doing better :) Also glad you didn't make the cut for the jury.

HermitJim said...

I can't think of a better way to celebrate than with family and food! I love me some good ol' BBQ!

Rubye Jack said...

Wow! I just found your blog and it looks like you guys have very much found the "good life".
Your Dad looks great.

Linda said...

Thanks again for the email. You made me realize how much I missed my blogging friends.

This looks like an event you will never regret participating in.

Carol............. said...

What a great thime! Those ribs look very inviting! LOL