Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Monday, April 18, 2011

Thanks to our dog...

A week ago Sunday when we were driving home from Washington with our Chuck dog for the first time, we made quite a few stops. We wanted to be sure that he had all the potty breaks a young dog needs. We stopped places that we have driven by many times but had no time to stop at on previous trips.


One place we stopped at had this map posted to show the area open to outdoor type folks.


There was this metal box attached to the sign to hold maps. I love maps. I read maps like people read books. Can't get enough of them for my collection.


I went to check the box to see if there were any maps left inside and found dry weeds hanging out.


When I looked inside I found this lovely bluebird nest. I was flabbergasted because it was only April 10th - so early for nesting in the high desert. This sign is over 60 miles north of us and a bit lower than the 3400 feet we sit at. Our bluebirds don't nest here until June or later.


Mom was worried by our visit. We loaded up Chuckie and got out of her territory so she could get back on her nest. It was cold and windy - those little eggs needed her!


Of course, you want to see a picture of Chukar. This is what he looked like waiting in the car while we dashed into the bakery thrift store in The Dalles, Oregon on our drive home. Yes, they are open on Sundays - it was such a bad thing to do... They carry Hostess products - the treats of our youth...

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness, the eggs are beautiful! such a lovely blue :) I hope no one bothers Mama Bird there!
Ummm, your comment made me think of the pink snoballs; remember those with the marshmallow and pink coconut on top?

Sue said...

What a great surprise! I believe you should call him "Lucky Chukar"-he'll be making sure you see lots of neat things in the future!
Hugs!

Gorges Smythe said...

How neat!

Linda said...

I do believe Chuckar is going to be a keeper.

It's really neat you got to see that nest and those tiny blue eggs.

France said...

Thank you for this blog. That all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something that eye opening and important. You clearly know so much about the subject, you’ve covered so many bases. Great stuff again, thanks you for this blog.

Anonymous said...

Hostess products and a beautiful dog - does life get any better?

Rita said...

That must have been wonderful to see that nest and the eggs. Sure hope they survive. Mother Nature surprises us all the time.
What a world we live in. Hope you enjoyed those treats, cause I'm sure you got some.
Rita

Margaret said...

What a nice treat to come upon those eggs so unexpectedly...lucky you. And Chuck...oh what a handsome boy he is.