Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Thursday, September 9, 2010

Trip to the Cabin over Labor Day

We really needed a break from all the issues here so we headed out to eastern Oregon where Tramp 1 could do a little archery elk hunting.

What a lovely ensemble he picked to wear on the long drive to the cabin. Yes, he dressed himself!

This old door is a welcoming sight - promising the opportunity to step back in time for a few days.

The cabin is as rustic as can be - both inside and out. Water has to be hauled in buckets from the spring - that was my job this trip.


Tramp 1 was all decked out in his He Who Hunts outfit once we arrived and got unpacked. The elk were there when we pulled in after dark and were still there in the morning. The meadow was peppered with cows and calves, busy grazing and talking, the bulls were in the trees bugling.

Unfortunately there was also another creature in the meadow. It was an Angus bull that had been left behind by his herd when they had stayed on the property in the spring/early summer. We knew that the cowboy had lost a couple of cows and we were glad to find one for him. But sadly, the bull, a 4 year old, was badly injured with a broken rear leg or dislocated hip. He would drag himself out of the treeline every morning and evening to graze and drink. It was incredibly painful to watch... It was also amazing that the cougar or bears had not taken him yet. We had to marvel at his incredible will to live. We called the cowboy with the ear tag number and he knew right away which one it was. He said he would be up in a day or two to decide what to do. We had to head back home without knowing the outcome but we will know next time we visit... if his skeleton is there under the trees...

Another upsetting issue was the pack rats. While Tramp 1 was out on an evening hunt, I came back from a hike and heard a strange noise under the hood of the truck. I knew instantly what it was and when I opened the hood, the pack rat popped up from inside the cowling of the fuel filter. I knew I had to get him out and the best way I found was to climb up on this chair and spray the space with Lysol. That got the critter's attention and he relocated quickly deeper into the engine compartment. I had to start the truck up and move it to get him to leave. We caught him in a trap later that night - unfortunately only by a leg, so Tramp 1 had to go out and dispatch him.

The pack rats are a real issue this year and we have traps set whenever we are there. They are very destructive creatures but so darned cute. You get past the cute when they keep you up all night and you find the mess they made in the shed while you tried to sleep. They tear everything up and toss it all around the place. And worst of all, they make things smell awful. There is a nest under the floor of the cabin (by my side of the bed) and the stench is terrible. Last year they built a nest in the engine compartment on the truck and it started to burn as we drove. A trucker saw the smoke and alerted us to the problem, so we are very careful now and have waged war! The neighboring property owner has trapped 25 already this season.


These beautiful pink clouds were our sky show on our last night. We left for home without an elk but we will be back to try again.

10 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my, I don't think I'm tough enough to live your style of life. My first act would have been to hunt the cowboy down and break his hip, telling him I'd be back in a day or two to see about him.

I'm not much into rats of anykind.

2 Tramps said...

Linda,
Like you, I wasn't happy about the cow thing - I had already named him! Bruiser Bull... He was so very tenacious - a true lesson to be shared.

The pack rats have not breached the cabin as yet, only the back shed. One must tolerate the creatures to be able to enjoy the extreme solitude this place gives.

ain't for city gals said...

Tramp 1 shoulder must be doing good...What my hubby wouldn't give to go to his own cabin and archery hunt...do you have to get drawn or do just buy a tag? In Arizona seems like it is getting harder and harder to get drawn (by lottery)...Larry wants dual citizenship somewhere like Idaho or Oregon...lol..The pack rats are a mess I know...they took over here while we were in Colorado...slowly but surely getting rid of them ..but you are right ..everything is a compormise..take care

2 Tramps said...

Sheryl,
His shoulder is much better. The cabin belongs to family that share it with us - kind of a stewardship of caring for a special place. No draw to hunt in that area - a lot of Oregon is not a draw like Arizona. But there are units that are draw only to cut the hunting population back a bit. We have family in the White Mountains in Arizona and they wish they would get drawn... Guess you will need to make a trip to Oregon so Mr. Gates can hunt - the archery season is four weeks long and covers five weekends.

Anonymous said...

Tramp 1 did a fine job dressing himself. A very nice outfit, indeed.

Sharlene T. said...

I'm with Linda, I'd go break the cowboy's leg and tell him I'd be back in a few days to see how he's doing... isn't that animal cruelty? Call the sheriff... grrr... sorry you didn't get an elk, better luck next time... come visit when you can...

DianeLynn said...

In many ways your cabin living reminded me of where I use to live for 4 years in Oregon. Though my lil 500 sq ft place was modernized but we had the pack rats inside & out, cougar and bear troubles. As well the many days & nites without electricity due to storms...therefore came the hauling water no heat, toilet etc.
BUT I loved it...missing my lil place I am!

Sue said...

I envy you being able to go to the cabin. I miss ours terribly. We had no power, no running water, but it was so peaceful. I liked playing cards by lamplight, or just sitting out in the porch listening to the critters (though, thankfully, no packrats).
What a nice trip you had. Hubby's "outfit" is a real chuckle.

treesong said...

What great photos! Be glad your guy wears something different. If Sweetie wore something besides sweatpants, pocket T-shirt and flannel shirt I'd probably not recognize him.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

By the time I left the cabin we hadn't seen a wood rat. They are usually here by now. Last year we quit trapping in the high teens. We have a squirrel that has been going in and out of the shed this year. I am wondering if that has kept the wood rats out. I hope so. I agree they are a huge problem. - Margy