The prize pot included some $35,000 in prize money spread out over various categories. There were 70 teams that came to compete from as far away as Texas. And there was a wait list of teams that wanted to participate but the cutoff was at 70. This was the biggest BBQ competition to ever be held in the Pacific Northwest.
We had a great time meeting up with friends that were also working this event as judges and other positions, along with having the opportunity to touch base again with some of the local teams from Oregon. But we did not get much time to see the event venue as judges are sequestered for most of the day. But I guess that is the price you pay to get to eat all that great cooking. And Tramp 1 got to chew on some awesome food!
5 comments:
That sounds like a great time! I once was a judge or taster at a BBQ cook off, it was a yummy good time!
WOW !! $10,000!!! Who knew?? I hope the "table captain" got a little something...sounds like a lot of work...Seriously...do the judges get paid at these big events? or do you just do it for the love of BBQ?
Sounds like a lot of fun. How did you get involved in judging in the first place?
Melodie - yes, it was good eating! We brought home enough from each category for several meals.
Sheryl - No pay for the judges. The judges take home everything they taste - lots of food with bite marks! Table captains get to share whatever is left after the judges have taken their samples. It is all about the love of the craft of BBQ - we all pay our own travel expenses, etc.
Mel - Tramp 1 took a judging class to become a certified judge. The more events you judge, the stronger your ranking as a seasoned judge. We love to cook and do a lot of it outside, year round, even in the snow.
Hi There! I'm new here, so if I am repeating a question, please forgive me. I was wondering, is there some kind of "list" of these cooking contests that you attend? How do you know when there will be one, and where? I'm not a great cook, but I love to eat BBQ. I would love to attend some of these cook offs and contest. How can I make that happen? And the "class" you took....where was that? Thanks!
Post a Comment