Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Friday, September 17, 2010

An elk during the rut...

We got a new video camera last year when Tramp 1 could not hunt due to his back but could still look... This year over the Labor Day weekend I had the opportunity to use it. Early in the morning I was in my nightgown on my way back to the cabin from the outhouse and thought to grab the camcorder out of the truck just in time. The quality isn't great but you do get to see and hear a bull elk.

8 comments:

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

That was so very cool. I hear them pretty often in the woods, but have only SEEN one once, bugling in Yellowstone. It is such a "call of the wild" sound. Thanks for sharing!

2 Tramps said...

Karen,
It is an amazing sound. We see them all the time outside the cabin. Sometimes there are herds of 200 or more that spend the night in the meadow - it is practically impossible to sleep as they are so loud - moms and babies cow calling and mewing, bulls bugling. I will be emailing you on your BBQ question soon.

ain't for city gals said...

I showed my hubby...jealous!!!lol

murphyfish said...

Got to say that your wildlife over there is amazing.
John

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

Thank you, 2 Tramps, I'll be looking forward to that! (no rush)

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

That's amazing. We have an elk relocation project in Powell River. Elk are captured in locations where they have too many numbers and relocated to new areas. We've seen them in at least three locations while out on our quads. - Margy

DianeLynn said...

Great video...I MISS OREGON! I want to come home.
Thank you for sharing a wee bit of home for me to see & hear!

Carol............. said...

What a magnificent animal!

We have many deer in our back pasture but no elk......