Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Wednesday, April 14, 2010

He is in surgery now...

It has been a busy last few days for us. Doctor appointments and making sure Tramp 1 got as much finished at home as possible. He won't be able to lift anything for a long time...

We found out yesterday afternoon that Tramp 1 would be the first surgery of the day for his doctor and that we needed to be at the hospital at 5:45 AM. So we elected to stay at a motel in town to avoid the long drive in the morning. We had to drive the 25 miles back home after the final meeting with the doctor and we both had a vehicle since Tramp 1 had been at work playing catch up and also had an earlier doctor appointment in another nearby town. So we went home, packed in a rush and headed back to our motel. We were going to go out for Chinese food - something we rarely do. But it was not supposed to happen. When we arrived, we realized that Tramp 1 had grabbed the wrong paperwork for the hospital - so we had to drive all the way back home again. He wasn't happy and I wasn't surprised this happened - this kind of thing seems to dog us always. On our way back to town, we stopped at Sonic to grab some dinner to eat back in our room. It was 10:00 PM when we finished and started to wind down. Tramp 1 was asleep before 11:00 but I stayed up awhile longer.

This morning we were racing to get ready so early - anything before 5:00 AM is just a bit tough for me! We were the first to arrive here and by 7:30 they wheeled Tramp 1 off to the operating room. He has been looking forward to this surgery. His shoulder has been bothering him for several years. The doctor will be going in arthroscopic to see what is going on and if he finds things are bad, he will have to cut in to do the necessary repairs. They will be keeping him overnight, for which I am most grateful. It will help with pain management and hopefully make his recovery easier.

This is the fourth time in the last five years that I have been here waiting for him. But it is the first time they are keeping him overnight. He had two knee surgeries and back surgery, all treated as outpatient. I wish they would have kept him longer after the back surgery...

In a few hours he will be out and into recovery. Then I can leave here for a break while they get him situated in his room. I am sure he will be sleeping most of the day. Tomorrow will be when I learn more about what I am going to have to do with him. He is very hard to keep still and if not drugged, will most likely be trying to do things he should not! In another month or two, this should be a distant memory for us both, other than the medical bills!!

6 comments:

ain't for city gals said...

Hang in there!!...I'm thinking abouat you...

Unknown said...

I've got both of you in my prayers. I hope Tramp 1 has a speedy recovery.And just remember to take care of yourself as well.

Sharlene T. said...

My prayers are with you. It will be fine but know that you're not alone...

♥ Pacy said...

This does suck, but it will be over soon and after he recovers I'm sure he'll be so much better for it. Yeah for them keeping him over night. My husbands first back surgery they keep him almost a week, We had to go straight from the hospital to the marraige license office or we would have had to change our wedding date. But the last to back surgeries and bot neck disk surgeries were outpt. and your right that really is hard. Our drive home was a little longer then yours. Living out in no mans lands is great untill your bringing home someone just out of surgery.
Hang in there, and take care.
♥Pacy

Linda said...

Remind Tramp 1 if he goes back to doing what he did before he'll be doing this surgery again.

Hope it all turns out well for both of you. I can't imagine day surgery for a back problem. Pretty soon they'll be doing heart surgery through a drive-up window.

murphyfish said...

Our thoughts from across the pond are with you, I'm sure that everything will turn out just dandy.
Regards,
John