Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Monday, April 5, 2010

Clean as a whistle...

Yesterday was a most unusual Easter for us. Tramp 1 was busy with his prep for his medical tests. And I was busy making sure he did it all correctly. And he did. There was nothing hiding anywhere when he was done!

Today he had a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I know, many of you dread the thought of such tests. But oh, what a great feeling when they are done. And truly, the prep isn't that bad - we have both done it. The real trick to it for us is to eat very lightly the day before you start the prep and it is so much easier. The first time Tramp 1 had a colonoscopy, he chose to eat very heavily the day before the prep. Racing against the clock, he stuffed himself until midnight. And the next day he had a lot to get rid of... That was three years ago and he learned his lesson. This time it went much better for him.

His mother had colon cancer some years back and that is why he is diligent about these procedures. Last time he had two polyps removed, this time there was only one. Now he won't have to go back again for five years. He will be sorely missed by the folks in recovery. When they offered him juice, he gladly accepted it and then asked for a beer! He doesn't remember doing it. He also doesn't remember waving like mad at the doctor as he walked by on his way to talk with another patient. In fact, he doesn't remember the ride back home from the hospital either, even though he was talking most of the way. He is on a first name basis with Charlie, the anesthesiologist now... After getting home, he promptly fell asleep for the next five hours. I was glad - he gets kind of loopy when he wakes up from anesthesia. Last time I made the mistake of taking him out to eat - pretty darned funny - he was legally drunk... at breakfast....

As the paperwork I signed stated, he was not to be allowed to drive, operate machinery, make important decisions, etc. for the next 24 hours. I knew this would be a problem with him, so I hid his laptop while he slept. He was planning to work and I knew he could possibly make an error that could create huge issues. Needless to say, when he woke up and could not find his laptop, he was not happy. I explained to him why I could not let him use it but he was still miffed. So he decided he wanted to go chop some firewood - and of course, I had to stop him. In the end, he decided to mop the floor to the bathroom in the shop. I felt that might be a fairly safe thing to do and if it made him happy, then fine.

All this has felt like a dry run. Next week he is having shoulder surgery, so I will get to go through a lot of this same fun again. At least there will be no special prep for that. He will have to stop eating at a certain time but I think he will be able to handle it. And I will have plenty of help at the hospital when he wakes up and thinks he is Superman...

Thank you to everyone for your well wishes and concern. You have warmed the cockles of our hearts!!

8 comments:

Sue said...

So glad all went well. They are funny afterwards. My husband kept on and on about being hungry and how he was going to eat this huge breakfast when he got home. Well, we got there, he made a beeline for upstairs, promptly fell asleep and slept away the next 6 hours. I enjoyed a fine and peaceful day! But what a relief when they get good test results.

TEAM HALL said...

I'm sooooooo glad to hear that all is well!
Funny story though...last time I had surgery, I woke up in recovery to the sounds of someone moaning really loud...it was me!
Hugs to yah both

Melodie said...

Glad it all went well! The last time my Hubby was under he woke up speaking Chinese! He works in China but I think it is weird that his subconscious mind is working in Chinese instead of English now!

♥ Pacy said...

I'm so happy everything went well, we have a history of colon cancer too. Tramp 1 sounds like my husband coming out of anesthesia, after each of his back operations he's always been the comic of recovery.
♥Pacy

Sharlene T. said...

Glad all went well. Wish more people could be as diligent about their health. Get some rest before next week's surgery -- you'll be very busy and need reserves. Hugs.

Rae said...

Glad to hear the colonoscopy turned out well. It is always a relief to get a good report. Good luck to Tramp #1 with his upcoming surgery.

Linda said...

Mine gets looped in order to face riding on an airplane. Tries to take a walk at 30,000 feet.

Glad the tests came out well. So important to do those especially if you have a family history. My husbands has two sisters who had colon cancer but the surgery was successful. We try to keep up with those kinds of things.

Carol............. said...

It's such a necessary test and not all that bad....just, well, just the thought of it. LOL

Glad all is OK.

I was scheduled last year and went through the worst part..the prep...then on the day of my appointment I got sick and had to do it all again two weeks later!