Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Putting a lid on it!!!

Okay, I give up! This is not what I had planned! We have had unpredictable weather for the past couple of weeks and it is just not going away. We had more thunder/lightning/hail/rain again yesterday and more is predicted for the rest of the week and into the weekend. And I have been held hostage here at Tramp's Camp by circumstance!

Ten years ago Tramp 1 surprised me with the keys to a six year old Suzuki Sidekick. I had been driving an F350 Ford crew cab diesel truck and had trouble parking it legally in a lot of places in the larger town we lived in then. This little Sidekick was supposed to be a tow vehicle for our camper setup. But I really enjoyed it and kept driving it. And now I am still driving it and my other choice is still the big truck. (And right now it is full of wood - pallets, siding, etc.)

The Sidekick is a convertible hardtop - so when you leave home with the top off and weather happens, you get wet! We took the top off some three weeks ago - I was really looking forward to zipping around the countryside all summer this way. But I have not been able to get out much lately - too much weather! And our refrigerator is now empty enough that you can see all the shelves - very empty for me - the person that always stocks up. I haven't been to the store in probably four weeks. Yes, we have plenty to eat.... More than plenty.... But we are craving some fresh veggies (the garden is far from producing), fruit and milk. So early this morning before Tramp 1 left for work, we put the lid back on the Sidekick. That action will surely stop all threat of stormy weather! After all, we live in the high desert - we aren't supposed to get this wet!

4 comments:

Rae said...

Good idea putting the lid back on. I think it is related to some law of nature. Top off- Rain. Wash car- Rain. Picnic- Rain.

Always do the opposite and fool mother nature.

2 Tramps said...

Rae -

I think old Mom Nature is winning this round. I came home from town to a lightning storm and hail. It was sunny in town... 25 miles can sure make a difference in weather.

Tramp 2

Mary said...

I am so jealous of your truck! I like my old car fine, but my next vehcicle of choice is a pick up. Hopefully not soon as we can't afford one right now.. gotta make the moldy oldies last a while more. :)

2 Tramps said...

Mary,

Hope you get the truck of your dreams one day! My big truck is pretty old - we have had it 12 years - I got 22 miles to the gallon (diesel) when I drove home from the dealership in another state. Our Toyota truck is 20 years old, still on the original motor with almost 300,000 mile on it (bought it new - good care keeps things working well)! Like you, we make things last around here. I do have to admit that I would very much enjoy a car, with an automatic transmission!

Tramp #2