Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Friday, February 14, 2014

A Fishy Valentine -

Most years we don't do much for Valentine's Day - it is such a commercialized holiday anymore.  But this year I just had to do something special for Tramp 1.  He has been swamped at work and the perfect idea came to me so I went with it.


 
These are pictures of us from back in the late 70's when we were dating.  It was a fishing outing.  I had enlargements made and got a folding frame for them.  Then I bought fishing gear and glued it to the frame.  I also glued a small caption on each picture.  One says "You reeled me in!" and the other says "And I was hooked!".  I packaged it up in a bright red gift bag along with packages of those Swedish fish candies and I attached a heart shaped helium balloon to it.  To surprise him, I dropped it off at the reception desk of the office where he works late yesterday when he had gone for the day.  Fun, fun, fun!!!  He called this morning after he got to work - he was sure surprised!
 

 
Tonight when he gets home from work, we will be enjoying our cocktails in these glasses with fishing lures hanging from them.
 

 
Yes, the dishes are empty - it is too early to fill them.  But in keeping with the theme, the pink heart casserole is going to have a special tuna salad in it - he would never expect tuna salad for dinner so it will be pretty darned funny and it was easy for me to make ahead.  The smaller heart dish will have dark cherry jello shots in them made with almond tequila in place of part of the water.  Yes, it is kind of a healthy meal versus something more decadent.  But we overate last night and I know he will be wanting something much lighter tonight - he was miserable.
 
 
 
Of course, we will be eating on fish plates with fish forks!!
 
 

 
The final part of the Valentine surprise is going to be under his place mat on the table.  It is the Oregon fishing regulations and a fishing license for him.  (Yes, I got mine, too...)  We haven't fished in years - just never seem to have the time.  So now maybe we will make the time!  (And he will probably want to buy a boat....)
 
Now I have got to get busy if I am going to get everything ready but also hidden by the time he gets home.  I will set it all up while he takes Chucky for a walk.  Our Internet was down all morning, so I could not post until now.  I am sure grateful for the folks that braved the wind and rain to go work on the tower to fix the problem. 
 
Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

4 comments:

Anke said...

Those are great ideas for Valentine's!! Love the idea or getting a fishing licence!

Julie said...

fantastic Valentines!!!!! hope your evening is great!

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Fun theme. We don't do much for Valentines Day either. We happen to be in Eugene for a USC vs Oregon women's basketball game. We counted it as our present to each other. - Margy

Mama Pea said...

You're so creative! (Why can't I ever come up with something like that?) I can just imagine the huge grin on your husband's face when he saw all you had done. Very sweet.