Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Thursday, August 22, 2013

Hail Storm Damage...

Last Friday evening we were hit with a surprise hail storm.  A big thunderhead cloud had built up to the west of us, but we have that happen a lot around here.  The weather can be very unstable in the high desert this time of year.  We usually have some amazing lightning storms.  But when this thing finally let go - WOW!!!


 
It was some big hail!
 

 
This was a beautiful healthy rhubarb plant.  We lost a whole lot of our garden.  I will be lamenting about it for days to come.....
 
 
 
Chucky thought it was great and ran around playing in the hail mounds.  He was in his outside kennel when it happened and didn't appear to be fazed by it at all. 


The last time we had a storm like this, we had a lot of damage to our home and shop.  Insurance paid to replace the roof on both the house and the shop.  We haven't called the insurance company yet this time - I am afraid to tell them it happened again!  Hopefully everything will be okay. 



 
When the storm hit, I grabbed the video camera and ran outside, undercover, of course.  Poor Tramp 1 had to race outside while being pelted and move the car and truck into the garage.  He had a truck totaled in the last storm - he ran really fast and got those rigs moved pronto!!
 
 
The other night Tramp 1 was talking to some neighbors who live around1/2 a mile west of us about the storm.  They did not get any hail - just rain.  Amazing!  (And they said they have run into several rattlesnakes on the road down from us this summer.  Always good to know about...)

We have similar weather in the forecast tonight - I am making sure everything outside is tucked away and battened down.  Tramp 1 covered his BBQ building with a tarp - it filled with hail and rain and he learned his lesson.  We are hoping for a nice quiet evening here!!!

7 comments:

Julie said...

Oh gosh! This was so interesting to see! I've never seen hail that big! It rarely happens in south Florida!!! Hope you have a quiet evening tonight! Glad everything and everybody was OK. Hope your hubby is feeling all well now!
xoxo- Julie

Mo said...

It's hailing ice cubes! Wow! Sorry to hear about the garden.

I hope you get some boring weather.

Sue said...

How awful! I'm sure the insurance company hates that kind of weather!

Anke said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully the damage will be minimal and insurance will cover the rest.

Mama Pea said...

Wow! I don't know that I've ever seen that much hail at once. Insurance will probably be good for your structures, but there's nothing that can be done about your poor garden. All that work! We still are at the mercy of Mother Nature, aren't we?

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! That's some major hail! I am so sorry to hear about all the damage in the garden...I do hope your home and shop are OK. Here in NM, we always hope for rain, but NOT for hail. It can turn on a dime and it is just so damaging.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Your hail beats ours. We also had a surprise thunderstorm with heavy rain and steady hail for quite a while. But ours was smaller and didn't hurt the plants except for my baby lettuce. - Margy