While it might not seem like much to some folks, our harvest of winter squash this fall has us pretty darned happy. We got four Red Kuri squash from a plant that Tramp 1 tucked into his bathtub berry garden. The other two are Buttercup squash from a plant that sprouted up under one of the fruit trees Tramp 1 planted in his garden area. There would have been more Buttercup squash but the deer finally found them. The "deer noodles" did work to keep them away for awhile. But they eventually got used to them and had their way with our squash vines. Next season the fencing will be in place and the deer will just have to watch from the outside!
When the weather gets cold and winter comes swooping in upon us, we will be enjoying tasty winter squash rolls with steaming mugs of hot soup by the fire...
5 comments:
CONGRATS on your harvest! That's 6 more than we've ever salvaged. We 'harvested' 2 onions, the occasional okra and quite a few apples (only because of some elaborate deer fencing). The beans and brussel sprouts revolted. Your squash look beautiful!
Winter squash rolls...I will be making these VERY soon! Look delicious! Your squash harvest is really neat! So fun!!!
And goofy me could only think of how I would make a fall display with those squash. A fine harvest--especially considering the many challenges you face with deer and weather. Bravo!
Well, you have double the amount of Red Kuri squashes than I had! I love them stuffed with whatever I can find in the fridge and topped with vegan cheese mmmmm xxx
Poop. I commented here a couple of days ago but I guess it got lost in cyberspace. (Or dummy-me most likely hit the wrong button!)
Anywho, my dear hubby doesn't care a lot for squash either (I love it) but he thinks it's okay mixed in with mashed potatoes. I served our first red kuri squash of the season last night and (drum roll, please) he actually said it was tasty.
BUT I'm thrilled to have this roll recipe because I know they will go over with no trouble. I have a cup of cooked squash left over from last night and I will be making your Winter Squash Rolls. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Post a Comment