To preserve freshly harvested basil, I like to freeze it to enjoy in the chilly winter months.
First I remove the leaves from the stems and gently rinse them in a colander.
Put the washed leaves into a food processor, taking care not to pack it tightly. Process on pulse a few times until the leaves are chopped into pieces. Don't process too long or you will have to change plans and make pesto...
Stuff ice cube trays with the chopped basil. Don't pack too tightly. You want to leave room to top each cube in the tray with water to cover the basil.
Pop into the freezer overnight. The next day, remove the cubes, put into zip lock bags and place in the freezer.
Add the cubes, one or two at a time to flavor soups, stews and sauces. Just like having fresh basil!
One bonus - I kept the freshly cut stems of basil sitting in a vase of water for a few days in the kitchen until I was ready to prep them. When I pulled them out of the water I found that they rooted in the water. So I will try planting them out in the garden to see if they will take hold. If they do, we will probably have basil to share with just about everyone we know!
5 comments:
What a great way to bring a taste of summer into the kitchen mid-winter. And kitchen supply stores? Oooooooo--I LOVE them!
Great idea! We love basil and it's a great way to have that fresh taste of summer in the middle of winter. :-)
I love basil, but have a hard time growing it at the cabin. Maybe I should try it again, but in a pot like you do. That's amazing about the rooting. - Margy
We have a boatload of basil this year as well, as we planted THREE fewer plants than last year. Go figure. I root basil as well but I have never done the frozen chopped basil idea.
Oh yeah...basil will root and you will have tons of plants! Have fun!!!!
Post a Comment